When does Ovulating start?

DKC
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:06 am 
Post subject: When does Ovulating start?
My husband and i have been trying to get pregnant for almost 5months now, but so far no luck Sad I have had irregular periods for quite afew years now. I usually get it every 6months or so. So anyways i did this mother Teresa chain letter thing and wished that i would get a period so then i would know when i will be ovulating. So anyways my wish came true. But my question is when do you know your ovulating?? How long before or after your period do you start ovulating? I got my period Jan 7 and it ended on Jan 11, and it lasted 5 days, so how do i go about knowing when i'm ovulating.

My husband and i were pregnant twice 2 years ago but miscarried both times, but we didnt' know when i was ovulating we were just having sex all the time and then it happened, but now we're really wanting a child so i figured the best would be to know when i'm ovulating. Thanks! Very Happy
Bevanne
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:24 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,
I too had irregular periods after coming off the pill after about 18 yrs, and was unable to calculate ovulation, my gp wanted to put me back onthe pill to regulate my periods but I felt this was taking a step backwards. Ovulation is usually around 14 days before your next period is due, but obviously this varies from cycle to cycle and person to person. You may struggle to calculate this if your periods are so few and eratic. You should probably have a chat with your doc who will suggest some blood tests to try and help you establish whether and when you are ovulating.

My periods have eventually settled down to a more regular 30-32 day cycle, but only afer initially 5 months ttc a subsequent miscarriage and we have been ttc again for another 5 months.

I got my last period on the 6th Jan and that is day 1 of my cycle, therefore my gp has told me to count forward 30 days then count back 14 days and this will give me a good idea of when I Should be ovulating, so that means around the 22nd, but from yesterday the 14th I have also started taking my temperature on waking and you do notice an increase around the time of ovulation, so you just need to make sure your prepared and getting down to it regularly around this time, dont forget sperm can live for a few days in your body so if your getting jiggy regularly there should be some sperm ready to meet your egg when it is released. Also towards the end of this week I will start to use an ovulation kit to check for the presence of the hormones produced during ovulation, and with all this careful planning and a handful of hope and a sprinkle of luck who knows maybe this will be our time!

But I'd get myself off to the quacks if I were you, and then at least you can have them check why your periods are so eratic and check when your ovulating and then you too can follow the slightly obsessive procedures that I will be doing this month!

Best of Luck, Let us know how you get on xxxxxxxxxxx
DKC
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:09 am 
Post subject:
Thanks very much for the reply. I have gone to the doctors and they can't seem to figure out why I'm having such irregular periods. But i did do this Ovulation calendar thing over the internet, and it told me when my most fertille days were according to my begining and ending of my last period, so this weekend will be a busy one for Kevin and I..haha..I will keep you updated on things are going. Once again thank you very much.

Oh ya i was going to ask you, do you have any children now, or are you trying for your first? We'll talk to you soon Smile

[/url]
DKC
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:10 am 
Post subject:
Bevanne
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya....
Yes we are trying for our 1st, we got married Dec 06 and I came off my pill in the Jan, and cos I'd been on the pll for abt 18yrs (i'm 35 by the way) We thought it'd take a while and with my periods being all over the place it was a real joy when we found out I was 8wks gone, when I actually thought I was on about day 53 of a very long cycle, as this wasnt unusual for me! Sadly it wasnt to be and I lost at 14wks.

So now I'm more desperate than ever to conceive, and just like you and Kevin, the bedposts will be banging from now till the back end of Jan, just in case....... cos you cant miss an opportunity......desperate or what?

Thanks for the link to that site by the way, I'm gonna check and double check my dates again!

Have a good weekend, Wink
Keep you posted, and Fingers crossed for us all !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular