omega-3 rich foods

Jui
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:05 am 
Post subject: omega-3 rich foods
Hi

I have newly joined this forum. I know that good sources of Omega-3 are walnuts and flaxseeds. I am a vegetarian and do not eat fish. Can I please know how many walnuts and flaxseeds to eat everyday during pregnancy and are there any other sources of Omega-3 ? Also, do I need to taks DHA supplements ?

Thanks
Jui
HannahM
AskBaby Team
AskBaby Team
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:59 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Jui,

Welcome to the AskBaby forums Very Happy

Would definately recomend milled flaxseed - it's relatively inexpensive and you can get it from healthfood shops.

It's really high in the Omegas and much easier to take than the other types of flaxseed as you can sprinkle it on your cereal or add it to soups etc and you don't even notice it. A desert spoonful or two a day is what's recommended on the packets.

The only downside to it is that your body has to convert the omegas it contains into ela's and dha's that are so important for pregnancy so you could try taking fish oil supplements too.

If you do go for the fish oil approach, make sure that the supplements you take are derived from the body rather than from the liver of fish as the latter is really high in vitamin A (which you shouldn't take excessive amounts of in pregnancy).

For more info you could check out the veg socs website - http://www.vegsoc.org/info/preg.html
Hope that helps.

Han
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular