Sickness combined with Chest infection and cold!!

lizo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:05 pm 
Post subject: Sickness combined with Chest infection and cold!!
Hi! I'm 27 and 10ish weeks gone...first baby and i'm really suffering at the mo! I've had cold after cold and now have a bad chest infection for which i can't take any medication due to pregnancy! Does anyone have any tips on easing coughing, which is also causing me to be sick more frequently than normal!

any advice would be most appreciated!! Smile

Liz
mrswolfbane
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:00 pm 
Post subject:
when i had flu and was preg i gave in and had a lemsip to ease it and nothing has happened to my baby
MummaT
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 8:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hi I'm about 6 weeks gone and have been ill from the start. I spoke to my doctor and she told me that there was lots of medication that you can take, just ask at the chemist (they can be really helpful). I found that just having some hot water with honey and lemon did me the world of good. Hope you feel better soon.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I am 13 weeks preggers and have just recovered from the flu bug from hell!!!! I have been in bed for a week and a half feeling just like a big poo and only being allowed paracetemol by my GP. What I did like for both the cough and cold symptoms that didn't make me feel sick was the nice cough lozenges you can get which had nice flavours and stopped me from couging and therefore being sick so much. Another thing I used to get to sleep was olbas oil on my pillow (with an extra pillow too) which seemed to relax my chest a bit and my GP said it should be fine as long as it was just a couple of drops. Don't tempted to take a decongestant cos they have caffeine and alcohol in them and my hubby gave me a dose by accident one night thinking it was just paracetemol and i felt like a very strangely ill duracel bunny and got very agitated and upset!!!! You're allowed simple linctus too my GP said for your cough.
Hope you feel better soon,
Claire xxxx
mrswolfbane
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:05 pm 
Post subject:
each to thier own i suppose i had the awful sickness diarohea and temperature and had a lemsip to take the most of it off i dont feel guilty about it helped me feel better its done no harm to my baby and as a person i can live with that.
i had 2 in a 2 week period when i jst cud not move of the sofa id tried every herbal thing going and nothing helped so i had lemsip and like i sed i dont feel guilty and its each to thier own ppl fill their bodies with [*@!#%*] all the time bad foods,smoking,drugs etc i think one lemsip when ur sick doesnt even compare.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:10 pm 
Post subject:
I didn't mean lemsip, I meant the flu/cold type decongestant capsules you get over the counter that have the pregnancy warnings on them. I wasn't implying anything about anyone so it's a shame that you took it that way.
mrswolfbane
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:14 pm 
Post subject:
the capsules as i understood it are the same as the lemsip type drinks.
i was told not to take it but if i hadnt of id have been in hospital tbh.

i didnt mean it to sound like i thought u were attacking me hun i didnt think that i jst dont want ppl to feel guilty like i did for taking something that really helped me even tho u arnt ment to.after talking to my midwife i see i did the right thing as i only had one in the one week and one in the second week.if id have had more it wud have been a problem im sure.
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:24 pm 
Post subject:
Hey don't worry bout that, I just didn't want you thinking I was having a go at you and ceratinly did not want you feeling guilty! Very Happy You had nothing to worry about with a lemsip drink anyway cos they only have paracetemol in them but the capsules are packed with loads of other stuff. The only reason I didn't have a lemsip was cos the flavour made me feel queasy or I would have been glugging away too!! Laughing
Claire xxx
mrswolfbane
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 11:35 pm 
Post subject:
lmfao i had the blackcurrant ones the lemony ones are far to strong for me.
i hate to take any tablets as they all make me feel woozy and not right even when im not pregnant.even paracetamol has the same effect sumit do with my liver i think.
lizaK
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:02 am 
Post subject:
Helllo there

I am 3 weeks pregnant (5 i guess) and have come down with terrible flu and high temperature. apparantly a high temperature (i found out yesterday) can be harmful to a baby. I was perscribed some homeopathic remedy to reduce temperature yesterday. it didn't work (my temperature was 39) and my husband and i decided together that i should have some children's panadol as this would be less harmful than a high temperature. it seems to be working. Did we do the right thing? does anyone have any information on the effects of high temperature on pregnancy?

thanks
Marien
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi LizaK

Sorry you feel so ill! I've had a lot of abdo pain due bowel probs during this pregnancy and my GP said it is fine to take normal doses of paracetamol so go for it hun! I think people are cautious to the point of us suffering unnecessarily when pregnant but that's just my opinion. I don't know how temp affects babies sorry. I suggest you talk to your GP and maybe more than one GP re paracetamol but as both my GP and midwife have said it's safe to take I would (and do)! xx
stephanieclarke
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 4:28 pm 
Post subject:
have you tried inhaling eucalyptus in hot water and hot honey and lemon drinks.
take paraceptamol when absolutely neccessary and get lots of rest.if you burn eucalyptus and bergamot in a oil burner is supposed to be good at killing off germs in the atmosphere so its a good deterant for any future bugs
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular