hopingforamiracle or anyone that might be able to help......

xxSUExx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 4:54 pm 
Post subject: hopingforamiracle or anyone that might be able to help......
hopingforamiracle, I saw your post on the donor eggs thread and you mentioned your oh having had a vasectomy in 1999 and now after the reversal he has sperm antibodies. My dh had a vasectomy sometime between '99 & '00 and we are getting it reversed next month. My question is do you know if antibodies are very common after this length of time? Our doctor said there is a chance he will have them but didn't really give statistics. I am just really worried that he may have them Crying or Very sad
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:58 pm 
Post subject:
As I understand it it is very common to have antibodies after erversal but it rarely causes a problem. I will see if i can dig out a link to the site i read it on x

As the reversal was 8/9 years ago you have a fairly good chance of success Very Happy
October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
lillia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:08 pm 
Post subject:
Here the link is http://www.vasectomyreversals.co.uk/downloads/ if you look under interpretation of semen analysis it tells you everything there is also a fab lifestyle guide for the reversal patient - loads of good advice.

Remember when OH has it done it takes months for the sperm count to reach a good level and it is rare to achieve a pregnancy in the first few months, so don't panic if it takes a while.

Wishing you loads of luck hun, tell oh to get loads of supportive pants and arnica tabs for the bruises!! he will be fine after a week or two Very Happy Also tell him to sleep with a pillow between his knees, my oh found that the best way!!
xxSUExx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:35 pm 
Post subject:
ahh thanks lillia for the kind advice & taking the time to find that link for me Razz I will have a look at it after celeb BB (gotta get off this site for at least an hour a day! Laughing ) I was glad to read that you think it rarely causes a problem because I was under the impression that is was a straight no no if they were there! Thank god I am wrong! Yeah support pants are a must but never knew about the arnica tabs so I will get those too! thanks! Very Happy
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 9:34 am 
Post subject:
I never knew about the arnica tablets either. I will have to get some for Ian.

sjg, we have been given a good success rate for Ians op. 85% chance of sperm returning and then obviousley 50/50 of getting pregnant. xxx
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:17 pm 
Post subject:
almost the same odds as us! we were told 80% chance of returning & 50/50 for antibodies but he added that they were likely! Yikes I didn't like that bit! But I have researched a bit since posting this thread & it seems that it is still poss to get pregnant even with them so that is good I guess!
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:02 am 
Post subject:
sjg, I was reading some stories yesterday of men that had gone 13 years or more and then had a reversal, abd then a coiple of months later their oh was expecting.
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:56 am 
Post subject:
yeah I have heard that too. I am going to remain positive though & if it hasn't worked by the end of the summer we are going to do IVF. We already had a consult booked for Jan 30th but I cancelled it in favour of the reversal instead.
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:01 pm 
Post subject:
HI sjg35, we booked an ICSI / IVF referral as well but cancelled it for the reversal op, I have been ttc for 5 months this month and we we are just getting the ball rolling again to get a referral to Oxford for ICSI, by the time the GP has done the letter and we have been given the appointment done tests etc, a few months will have passed so I guess our first cycle will be around May time. Hopefully I will be PG by then and it won't be needed but I am 35 so we need to crack on!!
xxSUExx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hi lillia, you are the same age as me! That is why we are not going to wait too long to get on with ICSI & IVF. Can I just ask....why do you need to wait for the referal from your gp? It is just that we just went ahead & booked ours & was told we could bring referal letter & test results with us to the consult. We would have had a 6 week wait from booking to the actual date though. May isn't that far away really either so if you don't get pg before then then at least you don't have long to wait! how exciting for you! Heres hoping you get your bfp before May!!!! Oh can I just ask.....how long had your oh have his vasectomy done for & did his SA come back ok?
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Sjg, I need the referral letter because although we are going for private treatment the Oxford hospital where we want to go needs a referral letter with initial blood tests done etc, the clinic also offers egg share where you get a free ivf cycle if you donate half your eggs to another couple. I had always thought of donating anyway and the idea of reduced costs is good, it will still cost 1800 ish per cycle because we need ICSI. We had looked at london clinics that will accept self referrals but its a long way to go, Oxford is fairly close (50 miles)

My OH had his reversal in September 11/12 years after the op, he has also had a hydrocele (think that's how it's spelt) which can cause problems. One side of the reversal didn't work but the other was straightforward. We were warned that our chances were reduced. OH was due to have sperm test done before christmas but couldn't get time off, we have to go back to the clinic in Nottingham which is 4 hours drive Sad He does keep promising to get it done but i think he is avoiding it. He would rather just go for the IVF appt and get swimmers done there, if the level is very low they are able to get them from the testicles with a little operation!! There were sperms present in the tube after the operation so he will have some it's just how many!!!

I feel the need to crack on as at 35 this is the last year i can do egg share ivf and my mum started her menopause at 37 although i have had my FSH levels tested and they are fine I am still worried.
ClairaBell
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:05 am 
Post subject:
Well, we will probably give it longer than you guys to try to conceive as I am only 28, and from what I have been told it can take a few months for the sperm to get back to normal.

I hope it works out for you both. I feel I am on journey with both of you. xxxx
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular