Pregnancy Testing Kits

Sammyno1
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:00 am 
Post subject: Pregnancy Testing Kits
How accurate are pregnancy testing kits?

My wife and I are trying for a baby. Her period was due on Tuesday and, when it didn't arrive, we got a kit (couldn't wait - she's very regular apparently!) We used the First Response testing kit and could clearly see a pink line, an indication of pregnancy. The line however was very faint but we put that down to the fact that we were doing the test at night and apparently its better to do it in the morning.

We did a different test this morning, with a different testing kit, and it has come up negative!

We're obviously disappointed but also confused. Is it possible to get a "false positive" or a "false negative"? Also, is testing this early really worthwhile?

any comments / advice for us for next month??
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:58 pm 
Post subject:
You can get false negatives but i dont think you can get false positives. It might be she had enough hormone level for one of the tests but maybe the other brand needs a higher level, in which case you would get a false negative.

Id say buy a clearblue digital.. i know they are more expensive but i think they are the best.

Good luck and let us know x
alibongo78
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 4:40 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there I back up last post. It is not at all possible to get a false positive. very possible to get a false negative though. Basically the preg test picks up the levels of HCG (human chronic growth hormone). HCG is only ever present if you are pregnant... Now some test are much better than others at detecting even the smallest amount of HCG. Clear blue I would say are the best. Just to illustrate the point........

A friend done 3 preg tests (all positive) she then sent a sample to the doc and it came back negative....this is because the docs tests are made cheaply and not as accurate. If you had a pink line (as faint as it may have been... she is pregnant. You are right that the best time to test is morning

However just to put your mind at ease....nip down to asda and get a clear blue digital. It is digital and will flash up 'PREGNANT' or 'NOT PREGNANT'... but yours will flash up pregnant

Hope this helps

keep us updated

Ali
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 5:24 pm 
Post subject:
with my first child all my home test kits were positive but the doctors were negative, now im on baby number 2 i bought a cheap tescos 2 pound kit and it showed positive the day after my period was due so i think every pregnancy is different.... i agree with you though when you say the digital ones are good as its easy to think you see a faint line on the others if you look at them long enough.
dawn x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular