Help with breastfeeding!

PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu May 15, 2008 12:15 pm 
Post subject: Help with breastfeeding!
My little girl is 8 weeks on saturday, and exclusively breastfeeding, the problem i have is that she is taking in a lot of air when she is suckling. I can hear her doing it (its quite loud), and can see her mouth coming away after each suck. Its so frustrating as i cant stop her from doin it, and she gets such bad wind, and is very sickly. The nights are the worst, and she wont settle as as soon as i lay her on her back, she gets wind, and fidgets and is usually sick ! Its driving us mad, as i know breastfeeding babies shouldnt get as much wind as bottle fed, but i am worried she hasnt been latching on properly since birth and now its too late to change the habit! Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! xxx
beauy
Posted: Fri May 16, 2008 3:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there don't panick, it doess ound like she isn't latched on properly but that is soon sorted and she will learnit took me ages to find a position me n jack enjoyed and to start with it was lying down on the bed or seatee.
Te only other thing i can think of is does she have a snuffle or cold? As it is possible that she is sucking and then taking a breath and then latching her self on wrong.
I'm sorry i can't be of more help the only other thing i can suggest is holding bub in 1 arm and the as she is feeding hold the breast she is feeding off of in your other hand so you can position it to not move etc.
Oh yes also are your (.)(.) full as this could lead to her not feeding properly as (.) can be a bit of a mouthful at times.
Sorry to jabber on but just wanted to help.
TC beauy
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun May 18, 2008 5:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, thanks for your reply! Yes, its definitely the snuffle thats been causing it. Ive been using saline drops since she was 2 weeks old, and had relaxed a little with them, hence the problem! Ive started giving her the drops before every feed now, and if she starts taking air in, i take her off, and give her another drop and try and clear her nose before starting again!

Ive also noticed that when my breasts are really full, i have the problem, you were right, its too much to get in the mouth!! Ive started releasing a little milk into a warm cloth to reduce them before feeding (if she doesnt scream the house down!!).

bless her, she has started teething, so is trying to feed more to soothe her little gums!

Thanks for your help xx
claire78
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:58 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Petralou,
I know this goes against everything the doctors tell you to do these days but it helps...try laying the baby on it's belly. It's very helpful when relieving air in the tummy as well as digestion. We layed our little girl on her belly from day one and never had any problems with gas or upset tummy...I think the pressure helps get rid of it. It also helps them become stronger. People may disagree with the belly position but it worked for us. If you're warry...try it during the day where you can watch her and make sure she's not getting her face in the mattress.
zandersmum
Posted: Fri May 30, 2008 2:07 pm 
Post subject:
hi yep b/fis not easy i did for 14mths but was very hard at the start 2 get baby latched on at all let alone properly lol it take a good couple of months for you,your body and baby to get ust to it i suggest you should call your local health nurse or even go back to the hosptal you had your baby at they should be able to show you and baby some tecniques to help the both of you impfrove its sounds very technical but it will actually all come natrally your hospital may also have b/f classes for you and baby i am in australia and know we do so maybe ask about something like that it can be very fustrating for you and baby but if u stick at it you willboth improve goodluck

Jump to:  

Community

Popular