Establishing a routine

EPH
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:22 pm 
Post subject: Establishing a routine
My Baby is 6wks old, and we have no real routine. Sometimes he sleeps for 4 hous, and sometimes only 1 and a half. This happens during the night and day.How would you reinforce you sleeping routine? Should I wake my baby during the day if he is sleeps longer than on the schedule? Would this then help him to sleep longer at night time?
Kietsiekat
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 8:34 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, this isn't really an answer to your question as I have the same questions!! My boy is 7 weeks old now and just when I think he's settling into some kind of routine, he starts going for sleeps ranging anywhere between 30 min to 5 hours Day or night. If during the day - do I wake him to feed if he's settling in for such a long sleep? Or is it OK for him to sleep such long periods at this age.
CarlLaLa
Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 3:59 pm 
Post subject:
Heya, I think tbh it's ok 2 just feed on demand and let them sleep coz our babies r still so young. Noah's getting himself into a bit of a routine tbh xxx

AmandaD
Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:50 pm 
Post subject:
My pediatrician said that babies will eventually establish their own schedule, so at the beginning, they call the shots. If they're sleeping, let them, when they're hungry, they'll let you know Smile
Posted: Fri May 23, 2008 9:20 pm 
Post subject: establishing a routine
I read somewhere that you shouldnt try to put a baby into a routine untill they are at least 4 months old untill then I agree with Carlala and AmandaD let the babies decide when they want to sleep and eat
This may not be what you want to hear but I think mothers who say there children sleep all night and have done since 2 weeks old are either very very lucky or kidding themselves
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:34 am 
Post subject:
hi all, check out babycentre.com and type in sleep routines. they have great advice for babies of all ages and what to expect etc. wish i had found it when my wee man was little. perhaps i wouldnt have spent so much time worrying!!
Posted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:51 pm 
Post subject:
hi eph,

my daughter is 18 months old now.

the way i got her into a routine was to feed every 4 hours during the day.

so for example. give him a bottle at 7am then 11am then 3pm then 7pm and then put him down for bed. and the trick during the day is to not let him go over his feed time and make sure you stick to every 4 hours.

then during the night is different put him down to bed after 7pm feed and he should wake at 11pm for fed and put him back down and then wenever he wakes during the night give him a feed. and if youve kept to 4 hours during the day he should wake ever 4 hours in the night so 3am then 7am.

hope this works.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular