Dummies

christine82
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:50 pm 
Post subject: Dummies
Olivia still has a dummy for bed. How does everyone feel about them. She doesn't have it during the day just nap time and bed time but I am half tempted to take it of her and see how she goes? Does anyone have any pointers or should I just get rid?
Posted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:05 am 
Post subject:
Ohhhh hard question. Hunter also has a dummy and a tiny wee cuddle blanket. He only has both when he goes to bed and I have let him on the odd occasion when he is teething and unhappy have his dummy as he chews on it. I dont think there is any set time to get rid of it, just go with your own gutt feeling and what suits you best. I would be a llittle concerned however if I saw her sucking on it in her 21st pic! Shocked Very Happy
Posted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 6:00 pm 
Post subject:
hun my son is 2 and half now and only stopped having a dummy about 4 months ago i hated the thing he was so attatched to it it effected his speech a bit aswell but if your daughter is only hvaing at night its just a comforter and really not a problem as she is not having all the time i honeastly think while she is this young a dummy at night is no problem xxx
aj1986
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 4:48 pm 
Post subject:
hiya my son is now 19 months and is stil having his dummie for bed, i asked my health visitor for advice on taking the dummie of him and she basically said it was pointless until he could understand why he cant have a dummie and that he is too big for one, she suggested to wait until he was about 2 1/2 before completely removing it Smile
bubble08
Posted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 6:33 pm 
Post subject:
my daughter loved her dummy until she cut her first tooth, which was in october and she hasnt enertained a dummy since. but she does have a comfort blanket for bed which she wont sleep without. xxx
Posted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:13 pm 
Post subject:
My daughter is now 5, but gave her 'roro' to father Christmas as she realised that her friends didn't have one!! she only had it at sleep times, and we have the flat orthodontic ones, for my son as well, and my daughters teeth are fine...however, I lost my dummy early, reverted to sucking my thumb, and now have a weird Jaw alignment due to the hardness of my thumb - which developed a callus!

If it suits your child, and there's no alternative other than a tantrum, I'd say let them keep it...but restrict the use during the day or they won't want to speak so much...xxx
MrsMummy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 9:53 pm 
Post subject:
i love dummies, all my kids had them, porsha gave hers to the fairies when she was 3 but stopped having it in the day at 2, jay has just stopped having his in the day too,
i actually think its cruel to take a dummy away from them until they understand why you are doing it, its getting them into a habbot and then taking it away. when my daughter was old enough e just told her the chice was hers and whenever she felt like a big girl to give the dummies to the fairies, she did it and never asked for it again.
Both Porsha and Jay have fantastic speech, it only effects that if its i there mouth all day
Posted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 5:23 pm 
Post subject:
My oldest son had a dummy from a few weeks until he was about 15 months. We started using it as otherwise he was permanently breastfeeding and would cry as soon as he stopped feeding! I took it off him at 15 months as it seemed to be a habit for him to have it in his mouth, but no good when he was really upset. Often at nights it would be one more thing for him to hurl out of his cot, along with his covers and toys! Then came the week when he lost three in one week and I decided not to buy him any more. He never missed it, as at that age it's out of sight out of mind. Generally my advice would be if a dummy is genuinly a comforter, for example at nights, then keep it, but if it's just a habit and no good in a crisis then it's time to let it go.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular