Early Scans??????

DonnaM
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:12 pm 
Post subject: Early Scans??????
Hi all,
I've been reading through various topics on here and alot of you have said uv had early scans due to mc. I was pregnant last year but at our dating scan we found out it had a neural tube defect called Enencephaly, we had a medical management mc. The consultants said if I was to get pregnant again I had to nform my doc asap so I could have an early scan and also we may have to travel to a larger hospital as our local one has a scanner thats not very clear. But when I went to my doc she stressed that at 4 wks it was 'very early days'!! And said They may give me one at 10 weeks. My 1st midwife app will be at 10 weeks as that was the soonest app. In the meantime I don't want to tell anyone til we know this baby is safe (it was to painful for the whole family and want to spare them) I'm spending all my time worrying that we'll go through the same thing again and the docs don't seem to be doing anything. How can you find out when ur scan is? And is there any waay we can have an earlier scan?? We are 6 wks now but finding it really hard as me and my partner just want to know.
Thanx in advance x x
mrswolfbane
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:08 pm 
Post subject:
i had mine at 8 weeks 6 days so u can have a scan earlier than 10 weeks u can see the baby on ours but its small but u can make out head and bum
millwallrose44
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 11:03 am 
Post subject:
I have 2 children and am pregnant with my 3rd, and at the beginning of all my pregnancies have had problems and have been able to have an early ultrasound at the Early pregnancy unit which is a part of the antenatal unit. At the moment I am only 5 weeks and they suspect an ectopic pregnancy, so I have had a scan but nothing could be seen. However, my doctor told me that when hcg levels reach 1500 you should be able to see something on an ultrasound, so I cannot see why they will not give you an early scan. With my 2 children I had scans at 6 weeks 4 days and 6 weeks 2 days, and both times you could see the heartbeat, sac and a little bean shape which would obviously ease your worry. I know it must be hard because I had a miscarriage at 5 weeks in october last year, and both my children have a genetic kidney condition, so I have not been able to relax yet. As with you I told everyone last time thinking it would be ok, so we have decided not to tell anyone yet until at least 12 weeks. I hope you manage to talk to your gp or whoever and get an early scan.
DonnaM
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:02 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you very much to both of you for replying, you did help to stop me worrying as much and spurnned me on to contact my doctors. They have now put me on an urgent referral which sounded scary....but have got me booked in for next thurs. Needless to say me and my partner are feeling more relieved that they seem to be doing something.
Thanks again x
cardea
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:55 pm 
Post subject: Hi
Hi Donna M - i can understand your worry and it does feel like you are playing a waiting game at this stage.
I had a very complicated missed miscarriage at 12 weeks 4 years ago. This time i was determined not to keep going all that time thinknig everything was fine when it was'nt last time. My GP would not let me have an early scan done on the NHS to put my mind at ease ( sometimes you have to look after the emotional side of things as well as the physical dear NHS ! ) so my husband and i paid for a private scan to be done at 8 weeks. There is and was no gaurantee that i would not miscarry again even if the 8 week scan was fine, bit it really helped us emotionally by knowing that everything was going to plan and there was a heartbeat. I am 35 weeks preg now and still have to keep pinching myself that everything is fine with the baby ! . I still did'nt want to believe it and think positively about it until sometime after my 20 week scan - i was waiting all the time for something to go wrong..........Good luck and i hope everything goes well for you X
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular