old wives tales....tell us the ones you know?

tealbutterfly
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:26 am 
Post subject: old wives tales....tell us the ones you know?
Hey guys,

Just leading off the another post...some old wives tales are just ridculous to believe...any to share ? I've stolen some of the web

Wearing shoes will help a baby learn to walk sooner.
False. Just the opposite is true in this case. Keeping a baby barefoot can help strengthen his or her foot muscles and help the child learn to walk earlier. A toddler who is walking, though, needs comfortable shoes that fit well they shouldn't be rigid. Shoes should conform to the shape of a child's feet and provide a little extra room for growth.

An infant walker will help a baby learn to walk sooner.
False. Babies who spend their active hours in walkers may learn to sit, crawl, and walk later than children who have to learn these skills on their own if they want to get around. Sitting in an infant walker, with its wide tray and small leg openings, blocks the visual feedback so important to a baby learning muscle coordination. More important, baby walkers are dangerous. Nearly 14,000 injuries are treated in emergency rooms every year as a result of walkers. And 34 children have died since 1973 because of baby walkers. Stairway falls in walkers can be especially severe. In a policy statement, the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP) recommended a ban on the manufacture and sale of mobile infant walkers in the United States.

Cats can steal the air from a baby's mouth.
False. This tale goes back hundreds of years to a time when cats were associated with witchcraft and evil spirits. Cat-lovers, rest easy it's anatomically impossible for a cat or other animal to suffocate a baby by sealing the baby's mouth with its own. Even so, cats and other pets should be supervised around small children and introduced to a baby gradually. You should also keep cats (just as you should keep other pets and items such as blankets and plush toys) out of your baby's crib or bassinet.

Tales About Foods and Drinks
Feed a cold, starve a fever.
False. Both high fevers and colds can cause fluid loss. Drinking plenty of liquids such as water, fruit juice, and vegetable juice can help prevent dehydration. And with both fevers and colds, it's fine to eat regular meals missing nutrients may only make a person sicker.

Wait an hour after eating before swimming.
False. According to the American Red Cross, it's usually not necessary for you or your child to wait an hour before going in the water. However, it is recommended that you wait until digestion has begun, especially if you've had a big fatty meal and you plan to swim strenuously. The Red Cross also advises against chewing gum or eating while in the water, both of which could cause choking.

Coffee stunts your growth.
False. Coffee won't affect growth, but too much caffeine doesn't belong in a child's diet. Excess caffeine can prevent the absorption of calcium and other nutrients.

Chocolate causes acne.
False. Although eating too many sugary, high-fat foods is not a good idea for anyone, studies show that no specific food has been proven to cause acne.

Spicy foods can cause ulcers.
False. Spicy foods may aggravate ulcer symptoms in some people, but they don't bring about ulcers. A bacterial infection or overuse of pain medications such as aspirin or anti-inflammatory drugs is the usual cause.

Eating carrots will improve your eyesight.False. This tale may have started during World War II, when British intelligence spread a rumor that their pilots had remarkable night vision because they ate lots of carrots. They didn't want the Germans to know they were using radar. Carrots and many other vegetables high in vitamin A do help maintain healthy eyesight, but eating more than the recommended daily allowance won't improve vision.

[/b]
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:40 am 
Post subject:
Theres one off hundreds of years ago something to do with cats! They were meant to be kept away from babies as they steal the babies air (ridiculous i know) They cover the babies mouth with there own and suffocate them something to do with witchcraft! Was on a documentry i watched few year back xx
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 8:40 am 
Post subject:
yeah i just read that one and added it above! lol x
i have a couple more i could add but i dont want to steal them all
fifitrixibelle
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 9:04 am 
Post subject:
Hi there, the one about feed a cold, starve a fever is the idea that if u feed a cold u thus prevent a fever from progressing, ie it wont get any worse!

flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jun 11, 2008 1:51 pm 
Post subject:
Ok what about heartburn meaning a baby with lots of hair??? I have the worst heartburn ever Shocked Shocked Shocked

Flossie xxxxxxxx

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular