My Visa and My Baby

Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:19 pm 
Post subject: My Visa and My Baby
I have to apply for an extention to my visa within 28 days of my old visa's expiry date. Problem is, the baby can be born any moment in those 28 days!

I have to go in person and spend a whole day in Croydon, and I have this almost irrational fear that whichever day I go is going to be the day the baby comes.

Am I being paranoid?
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:22 pm 
Post subject:
dev, you should ring them and get their advice on that. your midwife may also be able to advise you hun,
good luck, i hope it all work out. xx
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:36 pm 
Post subject:
I did ring the Home Office and they told me basically there's nothing I can do. Problem is they take my money (nearly 600) at the beginning of the day and then make me wait the entire day before I'm seen by anyone.

I could try to ring the midwife...not sure what she'd say though, other than take your chances...lol.
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:39 pm 
Post subject:
what about citezens advice beureu, they normally have an answer to everything.
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 1:54 pm 
Post subject:
As I'm not a citizen, I don't follow their jurisdiction..lol!

edit: I took your advice and called the midwife. She said it should be fine..chances are nothing will happen, but if it does, I will cause a great stir and they'll either push me up in the queue or take me to the nearest hospital. (Though I don't want my baby born in Croydon Laughing )

Last edited by Dev on Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bazzle
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:05 pm 
Post subject:
Dev - if the process will only take a day to renew your visa then it is probably worth the risk - otherwise wouldnt you be in the country illegally and that could cause you a whole load of more problems??

If the baby comes how long would it take you to get home?? Im sure if you were there and your wife goes into labour and you had to leave then they would take that on board - probably better then not going at all and risk messing up your visa renewal???

Good Luck! xx
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:10 pm 
Post subject:
Bazzle wrote:
Dev - if the process will only take a day to renew your visa then it is probably worth the risk - otherwise wouldnt you be in the country illegally and that could cause you a whole load of more problems??

If the baby comes how long would it take you to get home?? Im sure if you were there and your wife goes into labour and you had to leave then they would take that on board - probably better then not going at all and risk messing up your visa renewal???

Good Luck! xx

Thanks, Bazzle (btw, I'm the one having the baby...don't have a wife, just a husband). They will not refund my money if I have to leave and go to the hospital, but it's a pain to risk 600 on that... but I will go...i've booked it as soon as possible so as to get it over with.
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:16 pm 
Post subject:
oh gawd...so sorry!! I dont know why i assumed it was the other way round! I do apologise!!

I understand what you mean about losing the fee, thats alot of money to lose...however I think you are right to take the risk and keep your fingers (and legs!!) crossed that your baby doesnt arrive when you are there.

Good luck! xxx
Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:04 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks so much for your support! I will let you guys know what happened at the appointment (if I haven't had the baby by then).
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:09 am 
Post subject:
Well, I went to Croydon and I got my visa! I can now stay here in the UK indefinitely.

And the best thing is...I didn't have my baby in the Home Office.

Laughing

Jump to:  

Community

Popular