crying when feeding please help!!!!

amyr83
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:00 pm 
Post subject: crying when feeding please help!!!!
My daughter is 18 weeks old and has recently started crying when I am giving her a bottle,which she has never done before.I was convinced that teething pain was the cause of this.I have been giving her a little teething gel before each bottle which seemed to help a little.I spoke to my health visitor about it hoping to get some more tips on how to deal with this.She suggested that my daughter may not be hungry and that is why she is crying,she has had a good weight gain and she's quite a big baby,although not fat,just quite long and well built.The health visitor suggested trying to cut out one of her bottles which I am quite reluctant to do.She has 5 bottles a day and usually 6 ounce each time.I feed her if she is hungry so surely cutting out one of her bottles will be stopping her feeding when she's hungry??I would understand if she was just crying at the odd bottle that she might not be hungry but it being every one is a bit strange,which is why I thought it was teething pain.I really don't think I'm overfeeding my baby but this has made me question myself!!Please help!!! Confused
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:55 am 
Post subject:
what position is she in for feeding? it might be worth trying adjusting her slightly so she's more upright. If she has a little bit of an acidy tummy it could be causing some pain in her tubes if she's too flat. It might be worth trying using a cushion on your lap, with another one to support her feet, so your arm doesn't drop off in agony before the end of the feed!!
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:22 am 
Post subject:
I feed her in quite an upright position but I'll give it a go!I'm not doing anything different than I was before which is why its a bit of a mystery to me!I thought it could be teething pain but my health visitor said thats highly unlikely and then decided to criticize her weight.I don't think she's over feeding though,she has 5 bottles of about 6-7 oz a day.And I didn't like the sound of limiting my baby's food at her age!Have you ever come across a baby being in pain when sucking on a bottle through teething?
Thanks for your advice.xx
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:33 am 
Post subject:
not heard of it - I'd be surprised if it is teeth, as in general you'd find her 'chewing' the teat to ease tooth pain, so its likely to be something else I guess.

what temperature are you serving her milk at? is it possible she'd prefer warmer or cooler?

If you're demand feeding then I agree with you that it probably isn't a good idea to cut out a feed - the amounts sound OK to me tbh. If she wasn't hungry she just wouldn't suck, surely!!

can't think of much else to suggest - have a close look at her while feeding - is it possible she's got a little contact rash under her chin or something (Isaac got quite sore in his little fatty folds of his double chin at one point) that rubs when she feeds? or maybe she could be too hot? the weather is much warmer atm, and feeding she's also getting your body heat - you could try stripping her off for food, or even a quick cool bath before a feed?
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:50 am 
Post subject:
Yes I had thought it could maybe be the heat at the moment,she actually seems a lot calmer today and it is a bit cooler weather here.
I'll keep trying all these things.Thank you so much,great to discuss it with someone.x Smile
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:04 am 
Post subject:
no worries. Isaac got really grouchy in the heat last week, so now he's mostly naked or nappy-only during the day bless him. He seems to enjoy it Very Happy I wondered if it might be the pollen as well, cos when he got grouchy a cool bath definitely helped - I don't know if that was because of the temperature reduction or the fact that it washed pollen off his face though.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular