sleep problems!!!

Chocolatedolly
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:06 pm 
Post subject: sleep problems!!!
Hi I am new here and desperate for some advice on my pain the the bum baby. She is 7 months old and has been a realy good sleeper up untill recently when she was ill and teething. She is well now but the lask week has woken every night at around 2ish screaming and we have tried all the book says on controled crying but after and hour and a half she was still going. We put a night light on, we have put in a worn t-shirt, we have tried the radio classic fm ! she was crying so hard she was sick ! We have been swaddling her since birth and now she won't sleep with out restraints we are at our wits end. She is lovely and very much wanted but I have recently been so down the doctor wants me to take pills. I need any advice you other moms and dads can give me because I may have a micheal jackson moment and drop her in the flower bed ( only joking) I don't want to keep putting her in bed with us and I understand she is anxious about where we are but we never experienced this with our older child and have no idea what to try next. Many thanks for reading Beki
Linzxx
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:54 pm 
Post subject:
I know it would be like going backwards but have you tried feeding her when she wakes, I think I would if I was that desperate!!!! Try not to get tooo stressed things will settle down again, hang in there, I do understand have been through it and out other end X
LeeLee07
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 5:02 pm 
Post subject:
Hey Me son didt that to, but what i did was just be there for him and gave him tylenol, teething tablets and teething gel it helps some. but most of all just be there for him because at this time of age he might just had a really scared dream so he might have needed somebody with him and try not to put him in bed with you because he will get use to it.
AskBaby8795
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:36 pm 
Post subject: sleeping problems
Hi I know how you feel, my 8mth old daughter has just been through the same thing. There are a couple of problems that I have found at that stage that may be affecting your tot to, (1) very awhere of things going on, so if either of you are stressed, maybe argue abit, your tot will pick up on it to and dream about it - Result bad dreams them waking you up for reasurrence. (2) because your tot has just been ill it is out of sequence to its normal routine, so you may need to start getting her back in to the habit of sleeping through the night, which unfortunitly means going back to the beginning and teaching her to settle herself, it does take time but it is well worth it. (3) She is entering the stage of getting clingy and even though it may last for a short while, you need to give her your attention to make her feel safe, day and in the night, (4) does she share a room with anyone, if so they may snore during the night, that will definitly wake her.
Babies are very good at getting into bad habbits fast and taking ages to get out of them, so I'm gessing your little girl has got in a habbit of waking at 2ish and like mine if you don't go and see her she works herself up so much that she is sick, so if she still has a problem, go back to the beginning of getting her to sleep teaching her to settle herself at bedtime so if later she wakes she will be able to go back to sleep with out waking you. How to do this you need to get her relaxed (may be a bath with some Johnsons lavender bath wash, let her play with some toys) then get her into her PJ's but do something quiet and relaxing with her like play a small quite game, may be have a cuddle and a story, anything that sooth her and calms her down. Then put her in bed if she has a bottle of milk before she goes to sleep make sure she has fully burped, nothing worse than waking up because of tummy ache. Then either hum quietly to her or rub her tum (always clock wise direction) or both if you want, then get her to sleep. If you rock her in your arms or you used to then do it, what ever it is to get her to sleep. Once asleep I don't tend to put night lights on because if she wakes there is something intresting for her to look at, then she is wide awake and she will want company, but it's up to you. If by any chance she does wake up in the middle of the night, try to get her back to sleep like you did for getting ready for bed, it may be that she just wants a cuddle to feel safe, I try not to give mine a drink if all possible they can last the night with out one, but again if needs be give it to her but only give her warm or cold water because giving her milk rewards her for waking up and she will not brake the habit.
Do this each night for up to a week, then gradually leesen what you do with her, e.g if you rock her to sleep then once she's asleep you lay her in her cot, try to rock her until she is just dropping off to sleep then lay her down in her cot, if she sturs just shh shh shh her quietly maybe gently rub her tummy (clock wise) but stop once she's settled. Do this for another week. Then the week after that do even less, eventually you will be able to lay her in her cot and she will be able to get herself off to sleep and she will not wake in the middle of the night or if she does she will put herself back to sleep.
It might seem a lot of hassle at the moment espeicilly if you haven't had much sleep, but it is well worth it in the end and remember not to get stressed with her, she can't help it and it will pass soon. Hope this has been useful to you. Sorry it's so long.
E. Nutkins
Angela69
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:14 am 
Post subject: Sleepless Nights
my 7 month old son usually wakes up less than an hour after being put to bed crying.he would love to stay in my arms all night if he could.he will then wake up 2 or 3 more times during the night. he shouldnt be hungry as he has a bath and bottle before bedtime every night.should i leave him to cry?i have tried and cant bear to leave him for more than 5 minutes as it breaks my heart to hear him upset.
AskBaby8795
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 3:26 pm 
Post subject:
Does your little boy hold his burps down, I found that my little girl does so I have had to give her her bottle half an hour early so it gives her time to bring the wind up.
If all else fails, now the evenings are lighter try taking your son for a short walk down the road or around the block before you put him in the bath. It works a treat for my little girl if I think she has a little more energy than normal in the evening.
Hope you get this sorted it's not nice having broken sleep.
E. Nutkins
chantrelle
Posted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:38 pm 
Post subject:
hi recently i gave birth 5 weeks ago my baby fights his wind and during the night he wakes up occasionally i find that im always tired all the time i also have a 16 onth year old and some times i just feel i cant copeare these signs of postnantal depression chantrelle
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:00 am 
Post subject:
Hi Chantrelle
sounds fairly normal to me! do you have plenty of additional support around you? Mum, partner etc? sleep deprivation is the oldest form of torture don't forget, so make sure you get other people round to give you an hour off here and there for sleep!! My sister-in-law nearly killed herself with her 2nd baby cos she was so determined to have a show-home clean house the whole time!! madness if you ask me - a bit of dust won't hurt you, and when visitors come just ask them to do a bit of washing up for you Very Happy

If you find you are really struggling emotionally, talk to your health visitor and make it clear that you need help. Don't let it get to a point where you feel really desperate.
Good luck, and keep us posted Very Happy

Anna
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:52 am 
Post subject:
MANY THANKS ANNA im like that everything has to be tidy my partner looks after one and i look after the other chantrelle
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:06 am 
Post subject:
my hubby is the same with tidiness - but seriously, no one in the world will judge you for a bit of mess with a little baby to care for. work on getting your sleep as the main priority after baby, anything else is just gravy Very Happy

Jump to:  

Community

Popular