TTC after the contraceptive pill

whoopsie77
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:26 am 
Post subject: TTC after the contraceptive pill
Hi all
I'm very new to this. I came off the pill (Cilest) 5 months ago after being on it (different brands) for 14 years. Since then, my cycle has varied between 27 and 31 days, but has been fairly constant at 26 days for the last couple of months.
10 days ago I had incredibly bad stomach pains (felt like when I had appendicitis a few years ago) and it would have been around the right time for ovulation.
Does anyone else think that this was my rusty ovaries creaking back into life? Am I likely to have gotten pregnant the first time? Is there any chance of my baby being deformed if it was the first time of ovulating for so long?
AF is due on Sunday, so I will wait until Tuesday if I don't get it to do a test.
Tried charting cervical mucus, but it didn't really seem to change much. Cervix had been soft and open but is now firm and closed. Is that just because my period is due or could I be pregnant?
So sorry for so many questions, but I really am very new to this and completely unsure!
Would appreciate some advice.
Thanks Helen
sharonkelly
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:10 am 
Post subject: Hello
Hi Helen,

Welcome to the forum, I hope you find some good advice on here, I know I have, it's nice to share your experiences with others going through the same thing.

The first thing I'd like to say to you really is - relax! I know it's daunting, especially when you're new to the game, but try not to worry too much. As far as I'm aware, coming off the pill may make conceiving a little longer to achieve, but I've never heard of pains when you first ovulate again (although I don't claim to be an expert!)
With regards to cervical mucus, I don't know how reliable that method of tracking your cycle is, I don't use it myself so I can't really comment. I went to see my GP and she said that the best way to track your fertile days is to work out when your next period is going to be and count back 14 days - although this method only works if you have a regular cycle.
My partner and I have been trying for 3 months but with no luck yet and I'm thinking of trying an ovulation kit, apparently they are very reliable.
One thing that I have found over the last few months is that my body plays tricks on me. It's like I'm so desperate to get pregnant my brain sends false signals and I end up getting phantom symptoms, sore breasts, feeling sick in a morning etc.

What I'm trying to say is, the more you try to analyse it, the more you will convince yourself that the tiniest little thing is a symptom. So try not to worry so much, relax and enjoy the trying.

I hope that this has been some use to you and I wish you and your partner luck.

Sharon x
Marien
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:56 pm 
Post subject:
Hi. I agree with Sharon about everything and I have a little more info for you. I also had pain building up to and around ovulation after coming off the pill and after lots of tests there was no reason found for it so my GP thought it could be similar to when your muscles hurt after not using them for ages and then doing vigourous exercise. The thing is, it isn't common and it hurts but I was able to use it to tell when I was ovulating and time having sex accordingly - I also counted back 14 days from when my next period was due. Another, MORE important thing is to have sex a couple of days before you ovulate because sperm can live 4-7 days inside us, so if you release the egg and there are sperm in the right place already it can greatly increase your chances of conception. And I know it's hard but try not to stress about it because stress can make it harder to conceive - it's a part of a natural "fight or flight" reflex in our bodies. Hope this helps and Good Luck! Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular