Dog Poo

kiz8888
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:54 pm 
Post subject: Dog Poo
Hey everyone,

I had my first antenatal appointment yesterday where they confirmed that I am 12 wks and 6 days pregnant (yippee). Only problem is when I told the midwife I have 2 dogs she said i'm not allowed to pick up any dog poo. I've been doing this throughout my pregnancy so far as I often walk my dogs on my own so have no choice not to. I'm worried about any potential harm i may have caused my baby by doing this plus i don't really know what i'm meant to do for the rest of my pregnancy as i can't just leave it on the ground.

Can anyone give me any advice? The midwife suggested I ask my fellow dog walkers to pick it up for me!! (that would go down a treat i think...lol)

Thanks in advance for any advice or comments you can give me
cardea
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:42 pm 
Post subject: POO !
Hi ! I have cats and what your midwife said about dog / cat poo is correct. The only way to do it if you are the only choice as 'poo picker upper' is to make sure you are very very careful - double bags and plastic disposable gloves - it might sound like a bit of a pain, but it is better to be safe than sorry ! . Laughing
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

I asked my GP the same question when I first got my pregnancy confirmed as I have two dogs as well and she said it was cat poo to be more worried about cos of the risk of listeria. Basically she said as long as I don't stick my hands in it and wash my hands after playing with the dogs then it'll be fine! I have had to pick up my dogs' poos (with bags obviously!) when i've been the only one out with the dogs like you said and have had no problems with anything and i'm 16 weeks now.

Hope you're not too stressed about it,
C xxx
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:56 am 
Post subject:
Hey, i agree with cjarchibald, i think its more cats you need to worry about.

Buy some antibactirial soap and wash your hands when you get home from taking them out. Also i think its only dangerous if something managed to get into your body, for example.. dont put your hands in your mouth (not that you would after picking up poo!) or if youve got a fresh cut on your hands be really carefull.

Youl be ok, loads of people have pets when pregnant and i dont ever hear of anyone catching anything xx
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:06 pm 
Post subject: xx
as long as u wash your hand and maybe carry around instant germ killing gel u should be fine i have cats i have a good excuse 4 me not to have 2 go near the litter box lolxx
minstrel
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 7:19 pm 
Post subject:
Ive started buying disposal gloves and use these everytime i have to change the cat tray or clean the dog poo up. Ive also started to wear a mask (must look a right idjit!) when i do cat trays coz of the dust from the litter.
gingin
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:33 am 
Post subject:
hi, we have 5 cats (2 of them live in the barn though) and i have a new puppy - I knew about the cats but nobody said anything about the dog - the cats are being a nightmare they are protesting about new house and new dog to boot !! and i refuse to have a litter tray in the house now - but a friend of mine did tell me about someone who did contract a virus when pregnant and they did trace it back to the cats in the end - it did effect the babs apparently so definately be careful - my other half is on poo clear up duty now !! LOL
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:15 pm 
Post subject:
i thout it was mainly cats too. like the others have said carru the anti- bacterial gel around with u for an instant wash.
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:24 pm 
Post subject:
i thought it was only cat poo!!!
i begged my boyfriend to let us get a kitten, an he agreed so long as i done all the running after it. i promised i would and a month later when i found out we were pregnant my boyfriend now has full kitten poo cleaning duties!!!!! lol!!! he's not happy! ha ha Laughing xo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular