IVF on the NHS...

kerplunk
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:02 pm 
Post subject: IVF on the NHS...
I was just wondering if anybody has any experience of having IVF on the NHS? What are the stipulations, prerequisites etc etc? I'm forever reading horror stories about couples, unable to afford to go private waiting for years due to the area they live in to have IVF on NHS. Is this really the case - is it a postcode lottery? We're getting ourselves prepared for the fact we're probably going to need IVF but to be frank we can't afford it privately. We could probably manage one cycle but would then need to save and save for any more if it fails. Apologies for the string of questions but what factors effect you getting accepted on the NHS? Age? Length of ttc'ing? Degree of subfertility? I'm 25 and hubby is 36. He has "an exceptional sperm count" but i have a hydrosalpinx left tube and going in for a lap and dye on wed 18th feb. Consultant said i need to get BMI to 30 and i'm currently at 30.75. Is it probable that we're not likely candidates for IVF on the NHS? Any advice would be much appreciated. I'm feeling very confused and anxious right now. Thank yoooo!! xx Smile

xxSUExx
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:27 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there, I am not sure I can answer all of your questions but our Dr told us that IVF on the NHS was very much a postcode lottery (we were looking at IVF options before we decided to do a vasectomy reversal). I am only guessing but I would think your age would def not be a problem and I think you need to have been ttc for at least 12 months. If you were to go private then your age def is not a prob & your BMI would prob be ok as it is too. You should contact a clinic to ask if they do payment plans. I am pretty sure that some of them do that. Goodluck with the lap & dye! xx
Posted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:53 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you ever so much!! I never thought about a payment plan but it's worth considering. Very Happy

Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:18 am 
Post subject:
Hi there, it certainly is a postcode lottery. The hospital I live cloest to don't do any fertility stuff so the next closet is out of my area so they offer a part funded IVF but as with all NHS IVF you only get one free shot at it anyway. We are still trying other avenues to get our BFP as we will only be at the top of the list Jan2010. I've had my Lap&Dye and the consultation after too. They will be much better able to tell you all your options once they've had a good look at you. The possitve is that 70% of women fall in the 6mths after this proceedure all being ok so for the rest of us that they do find something the chances are still high. Good luck with everything. Keep putting a ticket on the lottery is my best suggestion!!
Posted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:23 pm 
Post subject: NHS Treatment
Im currently getting IVF on NHS and I have up to three cycles on the NHS, just finished my first cycle and awaiting outcome in next couple of weeks.

It is a postcode lottery as some people at work have only been offered 1 cycles as they live in a different PCT area.

It has taken me 2.5 years to get from initial appointment to IVF, had clomid and IUI first (NHS as well).

I think that most PCT's now offer 1 cycle and are aiming for three following government recommendations.

The current criteria for funding is the female being aged between 23 and 39 and never partner can have any children at all (including previous relationships and adoption).

My advice would be get to your doctor and tell him that you want to be referred as you have been trying for years and years (they like you to have tried for at least a year before referring, so say you have for 2 or more years). Don't take no for an answer, I was fobbed off for years before actually getting the guts to put my foot down, so be strong and assertive.

As Ive had all the treatment (Clomid, IUI and IVF) I can truly say that the worse part in waiting for ivf, once it starts its not that bad and can get exciting. The injections are scary at first but don't really hurt and I found some spots on my thighs where I didn't even feel anything. I found Clomid and IUI (menopur) drugs a lot worse that the IVF drugs as well, so all in all its not been to bad an experience.

Stay positive and make sure you have support from family and friends. When I was first referred I didn't tell anyone and found keeping it a secrete made me more depressed each month when treatment didn't work. Ive told all close family, friends and work colleagues this time and their support is brilliant. Being able to talk freely about everything, getting support and encouragement on a daily basis has made me so much happier. Happiness is vitial for any fertility treatment success.

Good luck and let us know how things go
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 am 
Post subject:
I know this post is a little unrelated but I've told my family and my work colleagues about all my fertility issues and I'm still waiting for someone to be supportive.

In the last two days people haven't stopped telling me all about the two babies due at work. They have no idea how much that actually hurts even though I've told them before.

But anyway best of luck with your IVF lots and lots of baby dust xxx

Jump to:  

Community

Popular