what is the normal/average platelet count in babies

sujit
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 6:30 am 
Post subject: what is the normal/average platelet count in babies
hi. all

i had a query and surprisingly the new is not able act as a soruce for this question

what is the avergae platelet count in new born babies, my baby is now 17 days old, and the doctors have told us that the platelet count is down to 2000

what does it mean - as in what are the risks and what is the possible remedy?

the doctors say that clinically they do not observe any problem, but they are proposing injecting additional platelets for future
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:51 am 
Post subject:
Are you sure he said 2000? I would expect 200million which is slightly low in its self. If it is indeed 2000 that is extreme.
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:28 pm 
Post subject:
Thats very high. Normal platelet count is about 200. I used to get ITP where my count dropped to just 7 at one point. However that does depend on how they're measuring them.

(Btw: hoping to study medicine when bubs are older so i have legions of useless medical information)

Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:36 pm 
Post subject:
stitch can you clear something up then please, when i checked this out, 200 million was low for any age let alone 200!! where did you get that info?? would like to compare sources, only because that difference is just beyond belief Shocked unsure how 200 could clot a bleed. frustrating when medical books contradict each other. Confused
Posted: Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:37 pm 
Post subject:
Its all to do with how they measure the bleeding. Some hospitals (the one i use) count the number of platelets in a certain volume of blood, i think my one is 1cm(cubed). Others count or estimate the toatl in the body. It just depends one what a hospitals policy is and how the consultant likes things to be done.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular