Hair colouring in 1st trimester???

theresa2109
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 9:51 pm 
Post subject: Hair colouring in 1st trimester???
Hi all,

Now I know this is gonna sound a strange one, but is it ture you can't colour your hair with a permanent hair colour in the first 12 weeks. It's a nightmare I;ve got an inch at least of grey roots and my hairs real dark brown Sad , I'm 7 weeks pregnant and can't possibly wait another 5 weeks, I'll look 60!!!!!!!!!!!

Please tell me I can colour my hair...
Laughing Laughing
Advice needed

T xxxx
cardea
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:27 pm 
Post subject: Hair
I always thought this was true also, but recently i have read that there is no evidence that colouring your hair during pregnancy causes any damage. Best to check with your midwife or GP as they should have up to date advice. Wink
theresa2109
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 11:30 pm 
Post subject: Re: Hair
Hi there, thanks for taking time up to reply.

Yes I've got my booking appt with the midwife on Tues I'll check with her first I think other than that it'll have to be a carrier bag over my head ha ha

xx

good luck with your pregnancy hope all well
carolinew
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:14 pm 
Post subject:
Hi there, as far as i know its ok to dye your hair, the only probem i was told is it may not take to your hair the way you want it to. So the colour you want may be affected. However every1 is different. I dyed my hair a few times throughout my pregnancy and it was fine. Also it depends what dye you are going to be using. Still double check with midwife tho just to certain!! Smile
Hope this helps a bit...
Caz x x
mrswolfbane
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:19 pm 
Post subject:
as far as i know it wont hurt the baby the worry is the changes in ur body effect ur hair and colouring cud lead to hair damage hence why most salons wont colour hair in pregnancy or ask u to sign a waiver....im the same i have grey hair tons of it infact going to a hairdressers is something i avoid because i can gurantee they will bring colleagues over to look at all the grey as im only 22 and i swear its from overdying hair and pregnancies.

i have thick thick hair so the grey looks worse so when this babys born im going to treat my self to having a nice hair cut and yes some dye lol
CL
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:22 pm 
Post subject: Hair dye
I used henna just to be sure but I am a bit of a worrier. I hope this helps x Take care
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:57 pm 
Post subject:
hi, u are allowed to colour hair. they say not to as ur hormones change so it means the colour might go funny on ur hair like bleach might go orange
Cublet
Posted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:01 pm 
Post subject:
I always wondered about this too. During my first pregnancy, I didn't have highlights done at all. I am pregnant again, and I don't know whether to be quite so paranoid this time.............
DonnaM
Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 9:37 am 
Post subject:
There has been debates over this for a few years now, I have been a hairdresser for over 8 yrs and trained in scalp problems aswell. They do advise you to have highlights/lowlights as the color isn't applied directly onto the scalp, the reason for this is that becaause your hormones change you may become allergic to the color and this would cause a serious reaction, for those of yu that wish to carry on with coloring all you need to do is ask your hairdresser for a skin test also known as a patch test. This would determine if there would be any problems. If there are any of you that norm color your hair yourself you would also need to do a skin test(pm me and I will advise on how to do this) or I would advise that you have it done in a salon. I use a semi colorant and have found no problems whatsoever!!
Lets face it pregnancy makes you feel quite low at times so the last thing we all want is roots to drag us down even more!!!!
Good luck to everyone
xx
vicky75
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:08 am 
Post subject:
hi all Very Happy !!! how mads this i coloured my hair a week ago home hi lite kit,yes i was nervous,but its just like me i did it any way Smile i just made sure i didnt leave it on longer then the time given,and i luv it! i would say at your own risk.!!!!!xxx

im 7 wks & suffering with nausea breathlessness exhausted over the simplist task any1 else???xxx
carey554
Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:02 pm 
Post subject:
hi everyone,im a hairdresser the last 8 years and not colouring your hair when pregnant is an old wifes tale.i do not recommend using home colours as you never know wot your going to get with them.i advice you to go to a salon to have any colouring done,if you are unsure any good salon should do a skin test on you anyone could have a reaction,pregnant or not.only differance ive ever noticed when colouring someones hair wen pregnant was with a hilift all over blonde colour it didnt lift as well as it did wen the lady was noy pregnant.after she had the baby it went back to normal.some pregnant ladies can a band in thier natural hair wen pregnant it goes a half a shade to a shade darker,ive noticed this in my sisters hair and some of my friends,strange isnt it!!!!! must be the hormones.
so ladies dont worry bout havin roots get your colour done in a salon or by a qualified hairdresser and always get a skin test first!!!!!
happy colouring xxx
mummyof3sweethearts
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:18 pm 
Post subject:
hi people!
im 6 weeks pregnant, have naturally dark blonde hair and its dyed brown at the moment where im trying to get rid of previous bleach that has dried my hair out! im to worried to use permenant dyes at home untill after my 12 weeks but dont want highlights again really, ive heard that vegtable dyes can be just as good without the harsh chemicals where would i be able to find this!?
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:24 pm 
Post subject:
I don't colour my hair but my boss did when she was pregnant (she used a bleach based blonde one) and it made chunks of her hair bright orange. She did it at home and had to go to the hairdressers to get it all dyed dark to cover it. I like the ideas from the hairdressers above who say go to the salon!!! xxxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular