when did you start maternity leave?

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:04 pm 
Post subject: when did you start maternity leave?
Just wondering how far in advance people gave up work? I am a primary school teacher and planning to go on maternity leave at May half term, when I will be 35 and a half weeks pregnant. This will be convenient for the school, and good for the kids in my class, but I'm worried it will be too early. I don't want to be sat around twiddling my thumbs desperate for the baby to come, but equally don't want to push myself too far so I'm exhausted. Also if I wait until a week after half term, I'm going to be getting on for 38 weeks by the time I stop, which seems very late. I'm just feeling a bit torn at the moment as to when to leave. Some people have suggested waiting to see how I feel, but I have to give my notice in by the time I'm 25 weeks,

This is my first pregnancy so I have no idea how I will feel by that point, any advice from more experienced mummies?

Thanks LD
cardea
Posted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:51 pm 
Post subject: maternity leave
Hi,

Its a tricky one this as you have to try and weigh up the financial drop with getting a healthy balance for yourself. Having sufferd a miscarriage previously, i decided that my health, physical and emotional, was more important than money so finished work on the 21st of December, at 30 weeks into my pregnancy. Not everyone wants to finish so early, this was a personal choice for me. The positive is that i can rest when i want to and take lots of time to plan the nursery and alot of DIY projects that need finishing in the house ( such as installing a new kitchen ! ) One draw back is that it can be pretty lonely sometimes once you have stopped work - after a week the novlety wore of a bit and i am now making an effort to meet up with people everyday just so i get out of the house ! Which is quite tricky during the day to meet up as all of my friends work full time ! Just go with your instincts and let your body tell you when enough is enough ! Very Happy
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:18 pm 
Post subject: xx
how long leave do we get now. i think every persons is diffrent i wanna leave at about 35 week im not planning on going back so thats a good time 4 me. and im lazy lol xx
Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:15 pm 
Post subject:
I am planning to take a year off. This is great but I know the earlier I leave, the earlier I'll have to go back!
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:32 pm 
Post subject:
i think as a teacher u have to also think about ur job as children will be unsettled to come back after half term for a few weeks and then u leave them. i worked up till 36 weeks with my first as a teacher and it killed me! getting down to their level was hard at the end.
erj74
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:19 pm 
Post subject:
I am curretnly 23 wks and am not planning on starting my leave until week 38! I am a little worried that this will be very late on and i will find it hard but i have also talked to my employer and they have agreed that when I need to I can start working from home 2 days a week to make it a little easier - i don't suppose there is any chance you can cut down your hours??
kazbabe
Posted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:31 pm 
Hi there
I finished work when I was 32 weeks pregnant with my first, and I never got bored. It was great to rest before I had the baby and I also cooked and freezed a whole load of food, so when the baby was born my husband and I had ready cooked meals.

I'm now pregnant with my second and plan to do the same!!

Good luck you have great times ahead of you. Just enjoy the rest before baby comes

Kaz I Very Happy
michelleb
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:50 pm 
This is my first pregnancy and i am 32 weeks gone, i am giving up work at 35 weeks. I am a delivery driver and my back is now starting to hurt in the afternoons but thankfully i have an understanding boss Smile
Poppy21
Posted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 12:30 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya,

I'm pleased to read the original post coz I'm a primary school teacher too with my first pregnancy and am wondering how long I can go before I can stop. I'm only 7 weeks pregnant so not due til Oct 6th but I'm hoping that I can finish when we break up for summer but take maternity from Sept 1st. I this allowed? That way, I'll actually finish abut 10 weeks before the baby is due. Like the idea of using this time to cook and freeze loadsa food. Good thinking!
ladylise
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:17 am 
Post subject:
hi,
I am 20 weeks preg due 5th july, and i am looking to go on maternity leave as this is my first pregnancy I have to travel to work on the tube and it is very stressful already so I am going to go off on mat leave 11 weeks before due date which is around April sometime which will give me time to prepare and relax and remember the good days . I dont want to be up and down as much on my maternity leave.

Anyone think this is too early

Lisa

xxx
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:06 pm 
Post subject:
Na, especially as you travel by tube, thats always horrible.

Im gona start mine at 32 weeks, id go now if i didnt need the money! i cant wait to leave work, i hate it xxx
erj74
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:24 pm 
Post subject:
Oh no, I travel by tube - which i'm not enjoying at all - but am not going on mat leave until week 38, now i'm depressed!!! Sad

x
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:30 pm 
Post subject:
whoops sorry er74. Ul be ok, if not just get signed off sick before Wink x
erj74
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm 
Post subject:
Am going to be working from home 2 days a week so hopefully it won't be too bad! And as you say, there's always sick leave - i was thinking i would need to keep working to stop worrying about the labour which scares the bejesus out of me

x
Archie1
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:29 pm 
Post subject:
I am a store manager for a young fashion brand in a huge 2 floor store with no lift and broken air conditioning!!! I get the bus to work which is an hour there and back and I often have to travel to London, Edinburgh and Glasgow for meetings. Arrgghh! Silly customers are doing my head in already but I have a really young staff who are being so cute and doing lots of extra work for me. Going to go on mat leave around 25th May which means i'll be 32 wks but i'm going to take 2 weeks hols from the start of May so i'll get 8 weeks full pay until the baby's born. Hoping that I can save a lot of it if i'm not doing very much til July apart from watching Jeremy Kyle and learning how to croquet shawls!!!!! Laughing
xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular