advice wanted rom people who have actually HAD a home birth

asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:53 pm 
Post subject: advice wanted rom people who have actually HAD a home birth
this is my 3rd and with the 2 others i only needed gas and air and that was right at the end around 8cm dilated. im keen to have a homebirth so that im within familiar surrounding plus im not in a hospital room delivering then sent on a ward!

however, my questions are:-

1. does the midwife come as soon as u ring to say ur in labour?

2. what do u need in order to have a homebirth i.e. mats? covers?

3. is it messy? this one concerns me as everywhere has carpets and i have versions of my waters being broke and everywhere gets soaked! with previous 2 they had to break waters for me right at the end and it gushed out EVERYWHERE were i carried soooooo much water!

good and bad points for people who have experienced it for themselves would be good as reading about it in books isnt the same!
Carolinep4
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:51 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

I had my last baby at home, and hopefully if the next one turns in the next few weeks I'll have him at home too!

I wasn't 100% sure I was in labour last time (even though I'd had 2 children before!), so I had to still call the labour ward where they call the on-call Community Midwive, all 8 Midwives Team I had met through my antenatal care, so that they new where to come and knew the house. I was in labour after confirmation of the Midwife. She then told me that the baby would be here in 3 hours, so no need to call babysitters for my other two (handy). She was right in her estimations, as he did pop out 3 hours later.

I'm cry if I stubb my toe, and no doubt about it the labour was a bit "stingy" Very Happy but definitely being at home made me feel more in control, and I knew who was in my house, somethng about being in hospital that you dont know who's all around. I'm a Nurse too, so sick of hospitals.

I had gas and air,at home. There was a worldwide shortage of heroine so couldn't get diamorphine, though would've had some if I had it in the fridge!

All I needed in preperation was a shower curtain (!) they use this when delivering to protect the area your birthing on. (Asda sells the cheapest shower curtains!!!) , a few old towels, and change of nighty for afterwards. I also had to have my waters broken (had to have this done both births before so expect it again)

No blood anywhere, they tidy everything away, and pretty much get you bathed, even dried my toes and put me into bed. At the pushing stage the Midwife calls for the 2nd on call who is there to help at final stages and after all checks etc do all the paperwork (26 forms, I seem to remember). It's great being in your own bed, and no restrictions. I was up hoovering afterwards on a hormone high.

Cant recommend it enough, I am so hoping I can do it again this time!

Good Luck!
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:37 pm 
Post subject:
sounds good lol
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:10 am 
Post subject: Re: advice wanted rom people who have actually HAD a home bi
Hi
I had my first child at home in October 07, it was a wonderful experience

however, my questions are:-

1. The first midwife came when i contacted her, and the other midwife was contacted a few hours later
2. I did purchase this decorating floor covering from Wickes, it was very similar to cling film, i covered the room carpet with this and bought a childs plastic table cloth to cover my settee, I placed an old blanket over the top of this. Also had some old towels.
Hot water needed for the tea & coffee for the Midwifes! Very Happy

3. No mess - My waters broke on the settee, which i had covered, also the midwives brought things with them. After the birth the midwives took everything with them, would never had guessed i given birth at home. The Midwives were excellent, they stayed with me for approx 2hours after birth to makesure i was ok. They even bathed and dried me and put tucked me up in bed with my baby. Very Happy

Have no bad points - everything went really well!! would definately do it again
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular