First time dad

PaulTurner
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:02 pm 
Post subject: First time dad
Hi,

I'm not too sure where to turn or who to talk to.

I've just found out I'm about to be a father, and to be honest I'm terrified. I wake up sweating every night like a donkey in a shower...

Has anyone any advice for me? Burying my head in the sand and watching TV all day doesn't really seem to be what I should be doing right now.

Thanks in advance,

PT.
ClairaBell
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:38 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Paul and welcome to the site.

First congratulations. xxx

Second, I am not a dad Very Happy or even a parent yet so can't really offer much advice. However, I would imagine that your reaction is entirely normal.

Have you tried talking to your other half at all? She may be feeling exactly the same way as you. Also, try to relax as much as possible. I am sure once the shock and fear have gone you will be feeling excited.

Sorry I can't help much. xxxx

I am sure that someone will be along shortly who has more experience than I do. xx
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:42 pm 
Post subject:
nine months is a long time to get used to the idea of being a dad (as long as you want to give it a go??)

are you and your OH together? is she happy about the child?
you need to discuss this with her as you have to bare in mind what shes going through, becasu SHE is the one with the baby growing inside her, its a life changing emotional rollercoster for a woman and she needs you.

my OH had a massive freak out about 3 weeks after he found out, i didnt hear from him for a full week, but after thet he came back and he had calmed down and dealt with it in his own way.

i believe it was his DAD that helped him and talk him round.
if you dont have your dad, what about mates who are good dads?

hope your ok, and congrats

allcock
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 10:48 pm 
Post subject:
BroodyClaire wrote:
Hi Paul and welcome to the site.

First congratulations. xxx

Second, I am not a dad Very Happy or even a parent yet so can't really offer much advice. However, I would imagine that your reaction is entirely normal.

Have you tried talking to your other half at all? She may be feeling exactly the same way as you. Also, try to relax as much as possible. I am sure once the shock and fear have gone you will be feeling excited.

Sorry I can't help much. xxxx

I am sure that someone will be along shortly who has more experience than I do. xx
my name is paul 2. listen lad ur blessed enjoy and chat to ur partner, she probs is has scared has u. ur get used to the idea and try to stay calm being a father is one of the best feeling of ur life. ive got 2 girls from a previous partner. and am trying for a baby with my beautiful gf. it will be her 1st i bet she will be scared its nothing to be ashamed off.but i will do my best and always be there for her and are baby i love her so much.
littledaddy
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
hi im also a first dad 2 im a security officer by day and a doorman by night i was on the way 2 work on the doors wen my better half met me from work 2 tell me she was pregnant i took a massiv sigh and took it on the chin but there are alot of great books to read esp dads guide to pregnancy and dads guide to babys both very very helpfull and funny one of the only books for men written by a man err all i can say is read alot of books and pregnancy mags tesco do a few although i did get a few wired looks at first!!! so i hope this helpped any 1
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:06 am 
Post subject:
Heya, i am not a father but i am a mother Very Happy and i can say that my partner was exacvtly the same for a good while Sad however he absolutely adores my daughter now and i love seeing them together. Its very hard when its such a shock but you need to talk and remember each others feelings. It will get easier and my partner can't imagine life without India now .... he hates that he was the way he was but i don't as he was just adjusting .... nothing will make it easier or make it pass easier, its just giving yourself time to adjust. Don't forget your partners feelings though as Nick did mine and the stress and loneliness i felt at first was awful Sad Sad good luck and keep us posted, i hope you feel better soon though Smile

They are the best and most rewarding thing you can ever do though, my daughter is number one and she spends most of her days laughing, smiling and cooing at us, shouting alot too .... its hilarious Very Happy Just give yourself time but believe me you'll not regret it once your baby is here Smile xxxx

dazedmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:18 pm 
Post subject:
its normal to be scared Very Happy - you are responsible for another person now - and thats a big job - the fact that you worry shows you care, so thats one tick on the list Very Happy

read through the posts on the site, or ask away if you cant see what your looking for, and nows the time to look smug and say im gonna be a daddy Very Happy

Congratulations and let us know how things go

Jump to:  

Community

Popular