1 year old sleep problems

Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 3:40 pm 
Post subject: 1 year old sleep problems
My 13 month old won't go to sleep on her own. We have to hold her next to the cot. When shes asleep we can put her in the cot. She wakes every night and drinks a full bottle of milk then it all begins again She wakes for the day at 5am. Have tried controlled crying, it worked for my other 2, but she throws up everytime i leave her. After changing her and the cot she goes to sleep but then has an empty tummy. Am at my wits end. Sad
christine82
Posted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:41 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya, I'm not sure I will be much help but I will give it a go, my litle one is the same age. When you put her down to bed at night will she go to sleep on her own or does she have to be held? and if so has this always been the case? I can remember seeing a programme on super nanny years ago where I watched her getting a baby used to going to sleep on their own with the pick up put down method (If anyone has tried this maybe they could offer some advice or you should be able to find it on her website). If she is waking every night for a bottle I would give her a dream feed instead around 10-10.30pm and hopefully this will top her tum up for the duration and then eventually you can reduce the amount and stop giving it all together. Does she have a dummy for bed? I found that if my little one woke up in the night is was because she couldn't find her dummy usually.
Posted: Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:39 pm 
Post subject: Update on making herself sick
I took her to the doctors last Tuesday before starting controlled crying. Doctor said she fighting fit and making herself sick is her being stubborn. She said it won't do her any harm to be sick, just change her and put her down again or miss the last feed. She getting as good diet so it won't do her any harm. The first 3 nights were great she cried for 5 mins then was fast asleep. then things changed. She is noe screaming for half an hour and has been sick twice. shge is waking during the night and up at 5am. Am going to stick with it though. It seems cruel but am cruel with the lack of sleep. Here's hoping!!! Wink
Rach78
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 11:24 am 
Post subject:
My daughter is the same age and we've always had a nightmare with her at night! It's not getting her to sleep that's the problem (although we do tend to get her to sleep by singing and rocking her in our arms-which I know could be one of the contributing factors to it all going wrong!) it's getting her to STAY asleep that's the problem. The other thing is that every night is different. At her best she'll go through from 7.30 til about 5.30 (which is brill as far as i'm concerned) but then the next night she'll be up two or three times and will normally end up sleeping with one of us. Then you get the odd nights from hell like last night when she was awake and grumbling from 1.30 until 5.30 and then woke up raring to go at 6.50!! How does she do it??? We've tried the controlled crying thing on 4 seperate occasions and it just doesn't work with her. The longest she cried for was an hour and a half and she got herself in such a state she was struggling to breathe by the time we gave up- which is a ridiculous place to get to as parents. Thank goodness she's gorgeous during the day (most of the time!). Because the nights are so random we've never really managed to get any sort of routine during the day either although she generally has between 1and a half and 2 hours across the day. Anyone got any suggestions as after nearly 14 months of sleep depravation I'm really getting grumpy! Rach
gracemummy
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 14, 2009 8:43 pm 
Post subject: 13 month old struggling to fall asleep
Hi everyone

I've read replies with interest... my 13 month old stopped sleeping properly around 5months old, since then we've had some good, and some really bad nights. I've tried controlled crying Ia few times, but it really didn't work, she was only sick once or twice, but the crying never got any less, and one day i went up to check on her when she was crying her heart out & she rolled on her side and i stroked her back for a few minutes and she was out like a light. Now she has her bath, a massage, and a bottle, then put in her cot and if she is not ready for sleep, ie still talking I leave her to cry a bit, usually 10 mins and each time it doesn't get any less, but then i go up and stroke her back for 2 mins and she goes to sleep no prob. If she wakes in the night, most of the time she will lull back to sleep, however, there are occasions where i do have to go in and stroke her back a bit - there is always a difference in the cry. Now I know there are so many mixed reviews on baby sleeping, but to be honest I didn't read any of it before I had grace, and for most of the time she was nursed back to sleep. I know so many people will disagree with my method but to be honest i make sure the back stroking lasts no more than a few minutes - it takes the average human 7 minutes to fall asleep so I figure that i'm never really around when she hits deep sleep.
No 2 babies are the same, and that's why i'm not sure about controlled crying, or the other methods offered.
My friend had a baby 18 months ago, and slept for 1 hour, and woke for an hour, every night for months and months. She tried everything until someone recommened a cranial osteopath - they do a type of massage that restores the body's natural smoother rhythm - some babies have a much quicker rhythm than others. It worked, it was 35 a session, and she took her lil one to 3 sessions and although she has the very odd bad night, she is a much happier and better sleeping baby.
Wishing you all better sleep. I always find that positive thinking, and perhaps turning the monitor right down helps - if you can't hear every peep then you're less likely to feel uptight and not relax. I close my door @ bedtime and know that if my baby needs me, then i wake (my husband does not, unless i physically kick him out of bed lol!!!)
x
Spanish
Posted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:41 pm 
Post subject:
My first wasn't a great sleeper, but she had nothing on my son. For the first year he would wake 3 - 4 times a night and cry for 2 hours at a time (no we weren't leaving him to cry he was inconsolable). We tried controlled crying with him because it has worked in just three nights with my daughter but it made no change to his sleeping at all. We reached the point when my doctor prescribed a drug called Phenergan which is basically a mild sedative - not that it seemed to do much good....perhaps I was supposed to take it myself?!!

We now know that it was his excema making him uncomfortable and itchy that was the problem. In fact it was my heatlh visitor that gave the best advice: to keep him much cooler at night. To be honest I didn't think he was too hot - he was in a correct tog sleeping bag for the temp and wearing the recommended clothes - but I was willing to try anything. He now sleeps in big boy pjs and just has a sheet over him. I would be freezing like that but he sleeps so much better. I think this is particularly important with skin problems as they are really exacerbated by heat. However, it might be worth experimenting with different night clothes / bedding.

It might also be worth trying controlled crying - it was the best thing I ever did with my daughter. I'd tried all the 'soft methods' of staying in the room but ignoring her and she just screamed for an hour and a half before finally falling asleep standing up on the cot bars. But when I went 'hard core' and did proper controlled crying it worked like a miracle. I hated leaving her to cry so I used to leave for just 1 minute, then 2, then 3 etc but even so the first night she only cried for 30 mins, the next 15mins, the third night 5 mins and since then we've never had any problems with her sleeping. Having said all that it didn't work at all with my son (prob because he was in discomfort rather than just wanting attention) but if you've tried everything else it's worth a go.
Shellm
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hi. i put on the original thread to this. Fantastic news. She has been sleeping through for 4 nights out of the week. She wakes the other 3 days but mostly for a few mins. We did the controlled crying and she threw up. we just changed her and put her back down. Thinks she just got the message. I was very determined 16 months without sleep was tough. We put her to bed bout 7.15pm, say goodnight and leave her room. She just goes to sleep on her own. the other day she slept from 7.15pm til 7.45 am. I woke and wondered if she was okay. It does work but you just have to be ruthless. it does no harm. Laughing
RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 10:18 am 
Post subject:
I am really pleased for you, good to know it has worked out x
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular