alcohol, caffine, stress.. e,t,c

tealbutterfly
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 10:15 pm 
Post subject: alcohol, caffine, stress.. e,t,c
I'm 21 and found out i was pregnant earlier this week. i have so many emotions running through me it's overwhelming. I have worked out that i am 5 weeks pregnant and quite worried because in the last month i have had 3 glasses of wine, 3 red bulls, tea, and raw nuts. All things i think i am supposed to avoid.
Am i worrying over nothing? I don't usually drink caffine but i was on night shifts and it really helped to keep me awake, but now i am worrying about it. Also i have been under alot of stress, my mum died at the beginning of last month, how will all the stress effect the baby?

Confused
booter
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 11:17 pm 
Post subject:
Congrats Tealbutterfly and at the same time I'm sorry to hear about your mum. Try not to worry yourself too much though.

My SIL also had a few glasses of wine just before she discovered she was pregnant. As soon as she knew she didn't touch a drop of alcohol. With caffine, you can still drink tea and coffee but experts recommend that you don't drink more than 5 or 6 cups a day although some people would argue that you shouldn't drink any as it is a drug at the end of the day. I have drunk tea all the way through my pregnancy but I did cut down to about 3 or 4 a day and only drink de-caff coffee.

With regards to nuts, the reason they advise not to eat nuts is the possibility of a nut allergy, but again I have eaten peanut butter, pistachio nuts etc all the way through, but perhaps check with your MW if you choose to eat nuts again. I have been very careful not to eat unpasturised cheese, salami and certain fish as it's important you don't eat those things due to salmonella and ecoli etc.

There are no statistics to prove that stress harms your baby during pregnancy but I'm sure you don't want to be highly stressed throughout, do you have support of other family or friends as it's good to have someone to confide in. Also, the ladies on this site will be very helpful. xx
tealbutterfly
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 10:28 am 
Post subject:
my family do not know yet. i think they might be disappointed to begin with since i am only 21 and not married, but i think after the initial shock they will be very supportive, so i don't have any worries there. I have told a few friends and i get the impression they are more excited than i am. Not that i don't want it, just that I'm scared of how big and life changing motherhood will be.
My partner also feels the same but is very supportive- which is a great help. i don't know how i would cope otherwise.
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:17 am 
Post subject: xx
hello. i found out i was pregnant the day after my 18th bday so u can prob imagin how much i drank lol. and stress iv had it so much these last couple ov months i felt so low at time that i just ant wanted 2 be here. but my lil man is still ok and still kicking hismummy to show me he his.

about telling your parents im 18 and if my mum dint like it then she could go screw because hes my baby.21 isnt young to have a baby nowadays any way.and who says just because ya younger u crnt be as a good mum as older mums good luck xx
cardea
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 11:49 am 
Post subject: Honey pie
Hi sweetie,

I think you are incredibly brave and strong. I felt the same way as you and i have been with my husband for 10 years !!!!!!! ( plus i'm 29 which is cracking on a bit !!! ) AS long as you are sure that this is what YOU want then i would just take your time comming to terms with the new changes that you are going to experience physically and emotionally - and go with them instead of trying to fight them ! I know what you mean about your friends. My friends and family seemd more excited than me and it made me feel like there was something wrong with me, but honestly - you are the one going through it physically and emotionally, not them, so however you feel is totally normal. Good luck and look after yourself.

PS : Alot of us have had a drink, taken painkillers, overduldged in caffine before knowing we were pregnant. Believe me, i doubt you will have done anything to harm the baby and the fact you are worrying about the implications goes to show that you wil be mindful now you are aware of your pregnancy. X
gingin
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 1:31 pm 
Post subject:
all you can try and be is as healthy as possible, there are heroin addicts out there giving birth ok the babies have problems but basically its what you put into you that will determine the health of your baby during and after pregnancy- so just think for the 2 of u as best you can - i must be really lucky cos i cant drink coffee tea or anything remotely alcoholic my bump is clearly dictating what it wants mum to have - i am sick of not eating all my normal bad stuff like crisps etc but i simply am so turned off by them
and yes you obviously here stories of peop finding out really late they are pregnant - just try and remember everything u eat drink goes to the baby too - so if you are hungover so will your babs !!
all you can do is your best - good luck
g
x
mummy2be1
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:29 pm 
Post subject:
Congratulations!

dont worry i did cos i had a night of binge drinking when i didnt no i was pregant and everything is fine so dont worry honey everything will be fine xxx
pinkfrank
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:49 pm 
Post subject:
Dont worry!! I found out i was expecting on jan 5th after a whole month of heavy partying..But every1 has reasured me it will be fine and iv just got to 10weeks!yay! Iv also been well stressed too i myself am only 2yrs older than you, the pregnancy wasnt planned and iv been terrified im to young, but family and friends have been really supportive.. just keep your chin up cos everything happens 4 a reason! xx
tealbutterfly
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:36 pm 
Post subject:
Firstly can i thank everybody for their reassurance. It has made me feel soo much better.
I visited my GP today and like most of you on here, he simply believed i was pregnant and didnt bother test me. I suppose 4 positive test cannot be wrong as well as how sick i feel. Bought some folic acid and have began taking that. Starting to feel excited now.
My partner and I, took the brave step in telling my aunt, she was over the moon, i went to her 20 week scan today and knowing she's having a boy made me feel very curious about my lil one, but i have a while to go till then! My partner and i are already arguing over the sex and names and i'm starting to feel like i can do this. Lil worried about my gran finding out as she is a little old fashion in thinking. ..but can't go back now.

Hope everyone is getting on well. x
booter
Posted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 6:26 pm 
Post subject:
I'm glad your feeling more positive tealbutterfly, things will get better for you from here on. You'll have all the exciting new physical changes and the scans to look forward to, not to mention when you feel your little one kick for the first time. I have thoroughly enjoyed my pregnancy (apart from the nausea in the 1st trimester). With 5 weeks left to go, I am beginining to get a little impatient now as I desperately want to see my little baby boy.
It's good your taking folic acid. I have taken sanatogen pro-natal multi vitamins with folic acid all the way through, although I have radidly increased my fruit and veg consumption throughout to.
xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular