So frustrated!

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:45 am 
Post subject: So frustrated!
Hello, Im getting so frustrated with this whole system! No-one seems to be able to give me any answers and Im just ending up going round in circles!

Basically, we need to have ICSI to have a chance of conceiving cos of DH's non-existant sperm count. He's seen the urologist and we are waiting to go back again in June after another SA. I've just spoken to my doctor about what the process will be and where we go from here and she said we'd better start saving to go private as out PCT only funds women aged 36-39! We fit the criteria in every other way its ridiculous!!

I know Clairedodds GP is funding your drugs, how much roughly would that save you?

We probably could afford to scrape savings together and go private but it seems such a waste when other people can get it for nothing. I really really want a baby and of course its worth every penny if we do get pregnant, but there's always a big risk that it wont work and so adding so much extra pressure to the whole terrible experience.

Sorry, rant over now. Really hope I'll be joining the IVF/ICSI thread soon!
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 11:58 am 
Post subject:
Sorry you're having such a horrible time at the moment hun {{{{{Hugs}}}}}

We'll probs save about 700 with the gp funding the drugs which is quite a chunk of money for us xxx
Doddsy
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:00 pm 
Post subject:
Forgot to say that i think it's ridiculous being penalised for waiting til later in life to have children!!! You've already paid a hell of a lot of money into the economy by the time you decide you want children so ivf shouldn't be made unnavailable just because you waited xxx
sharon34
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:20 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Hun

so sorry its going a bit naff for you at the mo ........we are at care sheffield and so far it cost 355 for 1st appt bloods and all semen test, then 650 aprox fro our drugs (im mixing 1to3 of meopur) and then 2300 for the ivf its self and we have had screening tests done at cost of 1750 and then 395 to freeze any left over ........it is alot of money but you dont have to pay all at once and the screening tests are optional ....your gp does not have to refer you it can be a consultant if you like your gp does not have to be involved with your ivf .........

x x x
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:26 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the replies, Hopefully our GP can fund the drugs. I've also just emailed the hospital nearest us- Nuffield in Woking to see if they offer any kind of payment plan.

Its so annoying cos we live right on the borders of Hampshire and Surrey so if we lived about 1 mile down the road we would get 2 free tries! Also I cant egg share as I carry CF gene, it seems like its all against us at the moment!
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:41 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

The nuffield has a payment card thing ...its like a credit card/ loan that you pay for your treatment on and then pay off the card .......when we looked around for reversal hospital they offered it to us ......not sure how or what you have to do to get one but if you can pay large sums off at once then i guess it would be a bonus .....

take care

x x x
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:59 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks, does that mean you have to pay interest on it tho?
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 1:25 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Hun

not sure as we did go for it but i think so but if you can pay off bit ammounts it wouldnt be alot of interest ....i mean i dont know how you look at it but if you can pay it off over 6mths or less then i personaly would rather do that than save for 6mths to pay for it .....even if i had to pay a bit of interest but everyones different its an option i guess ..... but im sure you can kind of pay into a payment fund thing that when you have what you need your treatment starts with the nuffield im not sure but i know they have loads of options maybe phone and ask the accounts or finance dept ??

and if you can get your gp to fund your drugs that would be a bonus !!!

x x x
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:12 am 
Post subject:
Ok thank you for the advice, I will look into it.
Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:29 pm 
Post subject:
If your GP won't fund your drugs then you can cut the clinic out and buy your drugs direct from the supplier. I was going to ask for my prescription from my clinic as I have found out they get their drugs from Ferring who will actually supply you direct with the prescription saving in some cases a couple of hundred pounds per cycle. It is such a shame that clinics put such a big mark up on drugs - shocking really !!

FC79 have you tried looking on the HFEA website for clinics in your area?

If I lived in my sisters borough I would have qualified for 3 cycles on the NHS, where I live i get nothing but anyone without children can 1-3 cycles free, topped with NO waiting list at Bristol currently I guess this is a good place to live if you don't have kids yet.

Good luck hun, clinic websites are pretty good - full of info. Very Happy
October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular