Lillia

fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed May 13, 2009 12:40 pm 
Post subject: Lillia
Hello, I've been reading your posts and know that your having ICSI with PESA. My DH has been told he needs a testicular biopsy to look for sperm, is this the same thing? Also is this done on the NHS even tho you are going privately for the ICSI?

Thanks
Posted: Sat May 16, 2009 6:19 pm 
Post subject:
Ah Hi,

Yes I think testicular biopsy would be the same thing, we have had it called surgical sperm recovery SSR PESA TESA or even MESA !! I think they are all pretty much similar where no sperm or few sperm are in the ejaculate they find them in the testicles. Sperm are produced in patches throughout the testicle so sometimes i think they have a few goes at finding them. These sperms are also not as motile (moving) as ejaculated sperm, sometimes not moving at all, again i think it's because they are immature, but this does not necessarly matter for ICSI as they don't have to swim, just 1 is injected into each egg so you can be successful even with small numbers of sperm.

We have had to go private for this, the cost of the surgical sperm recovery bit was 500, the whole cycle with SSR in total will be costing 4200 + drugs so between 4700 and 5500 depending on the drugs cost.

Hopefully we will have some good quality embryos left over which will be frozen for another cycle which will cost much less 500 - 1000 for these frosties to be put back.

We chose our clinic because the cost of the sperm recovery was in some cases 1000 less than other centres - they use sedation rather than a general so the cost is less.

We don't qualify for any NHS treatment because I have 2 children already from my 1st Marriage, but other couples at our clinic are getting this done as NHS.

Your GP may be prepared to help with cost even if you do go private, many GP's will write the prescription for your drugs saving you 500 - 1000. Do ask Very Happy

I wish you all the best, it is such an emotional rollercoaster but soo soo worth it. Our clinic also offers free councelling which is brilliant as they only see couples in the same situation and really understand.

Let me know how you get on hun. xx
October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
fc79
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:35 pm 
Post subject:
Thank you thats really helpful as at the moment things seem to be taking so long and we cant seem to get any straight answers from anyone!

He needs to do another SA in June and a blood test, then he has another appointment with the urologist in July, so we will know more after that.

We would have to go private for ICSI as our PCT (hampshire) only gives NHS treatment to women aged 36-39 which is pretty gutting as Im only 29, but as far as I can make out we will get the sperm retrieval on NHS.

The one big thing that worries me is that they wont be able to find any at all then it will all be over for us. Any ideas what the chances of this is?

Good luck with your treatment, really hope it works for you and you get plenty left over to freeze too! I'll keep reading your posts.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular