nt scan

kellycat
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:06 pm 
Post subject: nt scan
hi kellycat here just wanted to know if anyone out there has been for an nt scan i go for minetomorrow and still not sure im doing the right thing this is my first baby and not that sure what im doing is right or wrong only doing it to put my mind at rest Question
GemmaB
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:47 pm 
Post subject: nt scan
Hi Kellycat
What is a nt scan, i've never heard of it?

Gem
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:13 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Kellycat - I am also going for an NT Scan in a few weeks - I am having it done as I am an older mum - have just turned 40, it is personal choice, my partners family have a history of downs and I want all the information I can get. I dont have my dating scan till this Friday so cannot book yet but have looked at the information on sites and believe for me it is the way to go...amnio may end up being another option however, will cross that bridge if and when it comes. Let me know how you get on, if it puts your mind at rest then you are doing the right thing. Flossie xx
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:22 pm 
Post subject:
what is an nt scan???
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:24 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Dawn

An NT scan is where they specifically measure fluid on back of babies neck - I am no expert but have started looking as it is definitely something I will do, it also checks the nasal bones, this scan must be done between 11 weeks and 6 days and 13 weeks and 6 days - these are then all looked at along with mothers age and all the info is put into a computer you are then given the odds of having a baby with specific disabilities. If odds are very high I suppose it helps with the decision to have an amnio or cvs, which is obviously a lot more invasive. Some areas do it on the NHS if you are classed as high risk, not sure how you fall into that category but I believe it is to do with maternal age, so hoping I wont have to pay private clinic fees and my local hospital will be able to do it!! Flossie x
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:05 am 
Post subject:
aagh, im with you now...but to put your mind at rest, thats all done at your dating scan hun. You have to sign to say you agree with them taking the measurements but yeah i had a scan at 13 wks and they did all of that and did some blood tests...all results came back fine with a low risk of downs syndrome and no abnormalities.
its all part and parcel of what the nhs do. ( if anyone else is wandering though, nt stands for neural translucency)
dawn x
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:02 am 
Post subject:
Oh - my midwife said I may have to pay privately??? She said some areas do it under certain circumstances but not all, must say I did wonder why this was not done at 12 week scan, I have one this Friday so will be definitely asking the question am only approx 8 weeks so will be looking for answers, this will be my third baby but things have changed in the last 13 years!! Thanks Flossie xx
dawnb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:09 am 
Post subject:
how strange! i know what you mean though about everything changing , my daughter is coming up 12 yrs old and im 20 wks pregnant now and everything is so different. I do find though tht it also depends where in the country you are as to what service you get! which is wrong as the nhs should have the same guidelines throughout the country.
when i had my 8 wk booking appt with the midwife she went through what will happen at 12 wk scan, that included thiese measurements of fluid under the neck ect and as far as im aware everyone is offered it.
if i were you i would definately ask loads of questions and make sure they check for it on your 12 wk scan. good luck, let me know how you get on hun.
dawn x
sozzle
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:36 am 
Post subject:
Sadly i think it definitely does depend on where you live in the country as to what is on offer. For example, i had a dating scan at 7 and a half weeks but im not entitled to a 12 week scan - which i find really weird as everyone else seems to have one (am starting to wonder whether i should insist - has anyone else experienced this??) ! I also have to pay for an NT privately as it is not offered on NHS in my area unless you are at a high risk. I suppose i understand that more since it is an optional test.
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:08 pm 
Post subject:
Well it seems to me that if they are scanning they should make it about the 12 week mark and measure this fluid on the back of the babies neck. I have looked and if I am not entitled to this it will cost 100.00, luckily I am in a position to be able to afford this but I really feel for other ladies who may not be able to and worry themselves silly....I am in Lincolnshire and will know more on Friday - will keep you all posted. Flossie xx
cardea
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:14 pm 
Post subject: Nt scan
Hi ! My midwife talked to me about having an NT scan during my booking appt with her at 8 weeks. I had never heard of it and she explained it was to check for certain disabilities such as downs syndrome. I was not sure if i wanted the scan and my midwife basically said to me' well, if it came up with abnormalities would you consider termination ? ' My personal opinion to this was 'no', so she told me not to worry about it as i was low risk anyway. Having the test can be a good thing as it will give you the option of just being aware of the fact that your baby will have certain issues and knowing before hand may help you adjust to your babys needs. It does not necessarily mean that you 'have' to have a termination and the NHS should not be pushing that forward as the only option. It is a very personal choice and i suppose it depends on your reasons for wanting to know. I have a friend who had a Nt scan becasue she was over 35 and said that if it had been high risk she would have terminated. It all depends on you, how you feel about the pregnancy so far and if you think you would be able to cope with a positive result.
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:57 pm 
Post subject:
Yes I agree wholeheartedly - I am 40 and am 'high risk' because of this ,also my partners family has history of down syndrome. I dont honestly know what I would do if the test came back positive, probably go on to have amnio and then make any decision along with my partner. We have already discussed this as a possible outcome he has close hand experience as his cousin has down syndrome with whom he grew up with, and he feels it would be my decision and he would support me which ever way I thought best, sometimes I wonder if mums were better off years ago when all these tests were not availbale!!
Kind regards, Flossie xx
kellycat
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:32 pm 
Post subject: nt scan went well
hi kelly here just to say thanks for all your help in all the answers i got i went for my nt scan last night and they told me im low risk the scan was brill the man showed me the bone in the babys nose and aslo the skin around the babys neck he told me straight away that everything looked ok then he went off for about 5mins then took me into another room and said that im low risk 1 in 1700 chance i feel much better now its just peace of mind i know i could of waited till 16 weeks and had a blood test done by midwife then i would have to wait for the results from that it takes a long time and im a need to know now type of girl you do have your 20 weeks scan but thats tests for other things not downs where im from you have to pay for the nt scan at 13 weeks but the blood test at 16 weeks is done on the nhs i paid 135 for my nt scan and they wont do it passed 13 weeks hope my bit of info is helpful im only going my what i know and what ive been told by my midwife and consultant so some people my have some different answers
jacko37
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:47 pm 
Post subject:
Hi
thanks for that information, I'm 37 and 8 weeks pregnant, my midwife has told us we have to go private for the nt scan and its 135.00 but its a small price for peace of mind I suppose and could help us decide if we have the amnio or not
Thanks

Mandy
Erinv
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:49 am 
Post subject: NT Test
It is a Nuchal Translucency test that measures the skin on the babies neck and looks at the nasals bones. It is done between 11 to 14 weeks and this test requires the technologist to have extra training which is why it is not 'just done' with your regular scans-not all techs are trained for it. The choice that may come after an NT test is a personal one, for some the choice will be terminate, for others knowledge is power and it could be comforting to know if you have a high risk or family history of abnormalities, becuase if you do chose to keep the baby regaurdless then you and your partner can spend that time preparing for the possible extra care needed to provide a better caring environment for your child. I myself am going for this test in 3 1/2 weeks and it feels like it would be easier not to know, having said that now that the test is an option for me, I can't not do it either because I will regret not doing it as much as doing it...strange no?. Scared and excited...good luck to all you mammas.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular