How long should I use a sleep positioner?

paul276
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 5:15 pm 
Post subject: How long should I use a sleep positioner?
Could anyone give me advice on how long I should use a sleep positioner for night time sleep. My baby just turned 6 months old and I'm still using the positioner. Is this alright or will it interfere with his ability to start turning over?
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2008 3:37 pm 
Post subject:
What is a sleep positioner??! I have never heard of it.
gothicthug
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu May 22, 2008 2:40 pm 
Post subject:
a sleep positioner is something that keeps baby on he/she's back and stops them rolling over during the night ... they say to stop using it once baby has learned to roll over and roll themselves back again .. it wont interfere with learning to roll over as baby will learn that while on floor during the day, so dont worry my son is now almost 10 mths and he has just stopped using it, he told me himself by throwing it out his cot lol

hope this is useful to you

anita
jessiebear
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:53 pm 
Post subject:
A six month old should not be using a sleep positioner. In fact you should have as little in his cot as possible at this stage. If he does turn over on the positioner there is a risk of him suffocating on it. Sleep positioners can also cause overheating especially in bigger babies. Overheating can lead to SIDS. Sleep positioners were originally developed to keep babies on their back to try to prevent SIDS but it has since been discovered that they are more likely to cause SIDS than prevent it.

Read this page for more info on safe sleeping practices.

http://www.creative-baby-nursery-rooms.com/sids-prevention.html

I lost a four month old baby to SIDS five years ago - it does happen - do all you can to prevent it!
Huntermac
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:19 pm 
Post subject:
Im still using a Safe T Sleep and my son is 8mnths old. If I didnt he would be constantly under his blankets. He doesnt over heat because I use less blankets or lighter PJs. He is unable to roll on his own yet, although he can almost go from back to front but not reverse. The instructions will tell you how long its safe to use. A Safe T Sleep can be used till they are 18mnths to encourage back and side sleeping.

Jump to:  

Community

Popular