First time mummy and in need of abit of advice

Sheralyn
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 pm 
Post subject: First time mummy and in need of abit of advice
Could anyone help me as im abit confused.I went to the doctors yesterday to have my pregnancy confirmed. My pregnancy was confirmed and the doctor told me to ring up in the middle of march and make an appointment for the end of march to see the midwife. The doctor didnt take any notes to put on record i was pregnant . Do you not normally see anyone again until you are 12 weeks pregnant?
Poppy21
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:45 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Sheralyn,

You n me must have been doing the same thing yesterday as I too went to have my first pregnancy confirmed yesterday as was a little surprised at the lack of attention (not quite sure what I was expecting!) The doctor basically asked me if I wanted to keep it (of course we do!) then said a letter will come in the post for a 12 week scan (I'm currently 7 weeks.) She took my blood pressure, told me to take folic acid, gave me a sample pot and sent me away. That was it!
Sheralyn
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:09 pm 
Post subject:
hi poppy

thanks for the reply. im glad someone is in the same boat as me. I was expecting something somewhat different aswell when i went to see the doctor.I thought i would be given more information on what i should or shouldnt be doing, but came away no more the wiser and feeling of a wasted appointment. Three months seems a long time to not have any contact with anyone one when the first three months are the crusial time as so to say.
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:33 pm 
Post subject:
Hello u 2, when i found out i was pregnant i rang my docs who said i needed a docs appointment at 8 weeks and a midwife app at 10 weeks. I think different doctors have different rules though.

If you have any problems or concerns before your first app then just ring them up and go see them earlier. Dont worry about it, they are there to help you xx Wink

p.s CONGRATULATIONS ON YOUR PREGNANCYS XXXX
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:42 pm 
Post subject:
I think its pretty poor that they didnt give you any advice so...Some common guidelines which ive come across on here for you..

Your not supposed to eat foods with nuts, raw egg or uncooked meat. Keep dinking alcohol down to one unit a week, or try and cut it out completley. - i have had the odd few already in my pregnacy lol x

Do take floic acid, i take pregnacare which are abit pricy..10 a box.. but they last until after the baby is born and have all the right vitimins in them.

Any questions you can try asking on here first, lots of women worry about things other people have gone through and it makes you feel loads better to talk to them xx
Poppy21
Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:21 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for the advice ladies. I am taking pregnacare too, it is pricey but I think it's worth spending a little more. The other thing that my doctor didn't do was actually confirm my pregnancy! I imagined she might have done a confirmation test but all she asked was when the first date of my last period was- I could have been making it all up!

Apparently our local hospital does the 1st scan between 10 and 12 weeks so I wait in anticipation for that, I'm really anxious coz a family member found their baby had no heartbeat at 12 weeks. Also, I know so many friends who have been unlucky in their first 12 weeks. My husband and I are both reluctant to get excited until have a successful scan, we haven't even told our parents yet- gonna wait til mother's day to share the good news.
Sheralyn
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:03 pm 
Post subject:
thanks for the information. I guess i just wait and see what happens at 12 weeks. I just feel that it has been poorly handled and woulkd have thought my doctor would send me an appointment date for my first appointment as i hear alot of people recieve this.
Do you ring up the doctors surgery and make an appointment with the midwife or the hospital?
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:21 pm 
Post subject:
I had to ring up and book one with the midwife and then the hospital sets a scan date for you and sends you a letter x
Sheralyn
Posted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:28 pm 
Post subject:
ok thankyou for that. Very Happy
mummy2be1
Posted: Sat Feb 16, 2008 1:46 pm 
Post subject:
wen i did a home pregnancy test i went straight to my doctors and he gave me the number of the midwife i rang as soon as i got home and tey saw me within a week i think and then booked me for a dating scan ujp at the hospital!!

in my area midwives are totally seperate from my G.P and they have their own 'Teams' for certain areas of my town.

my midwives have been fantastic all the way through my pregnancy! they have more time for you than your G.P does xx
xtine1985BScHons
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:37 pm 
Post subject:
You should have at least one appointment with your midwife at 10 weeks to book in as they call it, where she will take all your details go through all the safety advice for the first twelve weeks and let you know whats going to happen. Oh and give you all the freebies from the bounty pack!
In the first four to five months it does feel like you're gettin bugger all attention but trust me once you've hit you 24 weeks the apointments come thick and fast I swear if I have one more sample of blood taken or anything else I am going to go crazy!
Just remember you can always call up your doctor if you're worried or check it out on the net, don't suffer in silence at the end of the day it's you health and your baby's health it's not something that you should quietly worry about!
And congratulations!
Catherine1587
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:04 pm 
Post subject:
This all sounds very familiar, i found out when i was very early about 4.5 weeks,
went to the doctor, they asked if i was going to keep it, i said yes, he perscribed me folic acid and pregaday tablets and sent me on my way, i had to ask what was going to happen after and only then did he say the hospital would send a letter for a 12 week scan. I then had my 12 week scan on the 13th Feb, everything looks fine Very Happy and my boyfriend nearly cried when he saw our little bubba on the screen, the baby was sucking his thumb in the scan its amazing how developed they are at 12 weeks, looked like a proper little person. My boyfriend said the baby looked all happy and cosy in my womb. that made me laugh,
Anyway i just wondered if you are supposed to be registered with a midwife by now, because i havent had any meetings no one had taken my history told me what not to eat, weighed me or given me a general check, i havent even had my blood pressure taken, although i did have numerous blood tests when i went for my 12 week scan.

is this normal to have such an uninformative pregnancy? i still haven't got an appointment with a midwife they just told me to come back to the hospital for my 20 week scan on the 3rd april.

this is my first baby and I am quite shocked at how uninformed i have been, its good that i have my mum and a few of my friends to tell me what not to eat, otherwise i would have carried on.

any comments on this?

confused Confused

thanks
xx
nadine101
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:51 am 
Post subject: hey
i was told the same at t he start of my pregnancy and to make an appointment with the midwife for about 4 weeks time from when i seen the doctor think its normal u will get giving a book at ur midwife that tells u everything about pregnancy and after and breast feeding the fist time u go will be to meet the mdwife and answer questions and she will try and work out ur due date from the date of ur last period u worry about eveything in the 1st few months butit will pass quickly honest im about 6 months now this is when its starts to go sooooooooooo slowly like lol just take things easy rest when ur tired eat small portions of food often and ginger snaps help morning sickness (sometimes) lol avoid soft cheeses and having running eggs or caffine and u will be okay gdluck with the pregnancy xx Laughing
nadine101
Posted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:56 am 
Post subject: 20 week scan
20 week scan so gd are u finding u the sex? i had a scan at 16 weeks coz i was a high risk of spina bifda but thank god baby okay and all is fine but found out im having a wee boy so happy like had to go buy something blue lol ur 20 week scan is great i have one of him waving his wee had there really clear scans and u see how much hes grown since ur last scan im 6 months now i get my next scan at 34 weeks to make sure hes okay and growing normal coz i was a bit under weight when i started my pregnancy but im not any more lol gd luck with ur scan hun xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular