BMI and IVF

Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:49 pm 
Post subject: BMI and IVF
Anyone having to lose weight before they are treated?

I'm due for consultation on the 16th June I think. And my BMI is just over 29 and apparently it needs to be lower than 29 before they will treat me.

I keep trying to lose weight but with depression over fertility stuff its just not happening is anyone else out there?
xx
Posted: Wed May 27, 2009 5:39 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun,

Im in the same boat as you, Me and my oh have been trying for a baby for nearly 5 yrs and 2 years ago we were told we can only have children through ivf, my oh has a low sperm count less than 1 million and slow mobility!
We was then told that Nhs wont fund our ivf beacuse my BMI was 35 and it needs to be 30 or less! I was heartbroken because they was no way i was going to lose 3 stone, but im nearly there my bmi is now 30.07, so my next step is to ring the hospital and go in for a internal scan, then they will hopefully tell me how long the waitng list is!

Hope it all works out hun, i have lost the weight through swimmin twice a week, but find it hard to eat healthy so i still eat the wrong foods lol!
Good Luck x x
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 10:55 am 
Post subject:
Ah thanks Huni thats just what i needed to hear 'a sucess story'. Well done you xx

I know its not much that I have to lose but since trying and failing the weight keeps going up and up and in the last 3 years I've put on 3 stone Sad .
The whole thing makes me miserable most of the time and my counsellor said that I should comfort eat when I'm down but I don't seem to have an off switch, currently considering having my mouth stitched tight shut, lol.
Have started to go for walks after work so this should help but weekends are normally my downfall.
Anyway I'm rambling! Hope the waiting list isn't too bad - do you have to start at the bottom again?
Good luck and thanks xx
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 8:43 pm 
Post subject:
Hi hun, My BMI is 29 and the clinic didn't even check it, the consultant said my weight would not be a problem and when he scanned me he could see my ovaries clearly. I believe that when you have a higher BMI it can make it more difficult for them to collect your eggs? Most clinics like your BMI below 30 so 29 is ok.

I am married to a chef and have put on half a stone a year for the last 6 years, i used to be 9 stone now i am 12 Sad But OH cooks so much yummy stuff how could i refuse!! Very Happy We eat very healthly, mostly organic but i think i just eat far too much!!

Good luck hun xxx
October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:27 am 
Post subject:
I just can't get it in my head to stick to anything! I try to cut back on the food then I try doing more excercise but can't seem to stick to it. Really fed up now because I get really hot all the time and none of my summer clothes fit anymore.

Might go and see my counsellor see if she can help me maybe she can try some Hypnosis on me?!! Confused
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:31 pm 
Post subject:
Hun you are too hard on yourself, with PCOS you will find it hard to loose weight, there are medications that can help with this when you have PCOS have you asked your GP?
October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
Minxymoo
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:58 pm 
Post subject:
I already take Metformin is there anything else?

Jump to:  

Community

Popular