Agonising Back Pain

FirstTimer
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 7:55 pm 
Post subject: Agonising Back Pain
My girl-friend is coming up to week eleven. She has had back pain for the past four weeks - but it has intensified in the past week. The doctors say that is could be sciatica, and that it could be that the growing uterus is expanding and pressing on a nerve.

The doctor says that she can only advise to take paracetamol for the pain - can anyone offer any other advice for this? Has anyone else experienced this ... ? If so, what is the best way of dealing with it? Will this pain subside? Are there any exercises to do ... and so on?

Many thanks ...
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 9:54 am 
Post subject:
Hi there

I had some pretty nasty backache early on. Swimming and Yoga really work. Just being in water completely is soothing (or at least I found it was) and salt water is definitely nicer, or just a nice clean bath is good. Hot water bottles do provide a bit of relief, but not much I found.

Yoga - if she's never done it before you will need to find a local club as self-teach when pregnant is not a good idea, since some positions are not good in pregnancy and an instructor will make sure she stays safe.

Finally, if all else fails, codeine is a safe painkiller for limited use in pregnancy (it has a dependancy/addiction risk so only when REALLY needed). My doctor prescribed me some pure codeine tablets to supplement the paracetamol when it got really bad. Only ever took one in the end, as the back pain only lasted a couple of weeks, and then whatever was causing the nerve pressure obviously moved and I was fine.

Last tip - don't let he sleep or lie on her right side. The uterus can put pressure on nerves and an artery that run down your right side, which can make backache slightly worse - and also cause nasty muscle cramps in your legs, which is the last thing she needs right now!

good luck Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular