Any Good Dairy Free Recipes?

Cuddlefish
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:59 am 
Post subject: Any Good Dairy Free Recipes?
Since Lucy had her serious allergic reaction to formula (cow's milk), I have gone completely dairy free (hopefully she'll grow out of it, but you never know)... although I am not finding it too bad (the lack of a decent hard chesse is a strain, though!), I wondered if anyone else has ever had to go dairy free and has any good recipes or tips?

My main one would be to use mustard in cooking where you would usually use cheese - I made a 'cheese free cheese sauce' by adding a good teaspoon of mustard powder to white sauce which was surprisingly nice!

skyesmommy
Posted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 11:08 pm 
Post subject: i need them too lol
hey hun i was just wonderin what reaction ur lil one had cause i think skye may hav a dairy intolleriance too ?
thanks x
Posted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:10 am 
Post subject:
Lucy had a full-on anaphalactic reaction - she swelled up, went bright red, couldn't breathe and started choking within 5 minutes of having the bottle; we called the ambulance immediately!

She has, however, always had very dry, sometimes itchy skin with a touch of eczema, and I was considering going dairy free because of this before she reacted badly - her reaction just made my mind up completely in the end. I'm not too sure if going dairy free has helped her - she still has pretty dry skin, and I'm not sure whether it was the change in bath routines (we got rid of any bath products apart from ones prescribed by the doctor, and only put prescribed creams on her) so it could be that that has helped her skin rather than my diet, but I just wanted to make sure - in a little while, I might re-introduce something like goat's cheese back into my diet, just to see what happens.

I do have a friend who is wondering if her LO is dairy intolerant (which is different to a dairy allergy) - her baby has nasty, dark green nappies and tends to suffer from colic a lot. Eczema is also a very common sign of a dairy intolerance, as is tummy trouble and bad, painful wind. Babies with dairy intolerances also don't tend to gain weight very well, and they can be quite refluxy (which is why the doctors reckon Lucy's reaction might have been a one-off, because she doesn't have a bad tummy and has on the whole gained weight beautifully - her reaction was very, very unusual for a potential dairy allergy). As you can probably tell, I've done loads of research on this, but I'm no expert - if you're unsure, I would discuss it with your HV or doctor Wink

Hope this helps!

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular