Prenatal depression

lexysmith
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:17 pm 
Post subject: Prenatal depression
Hello
First time posting on here so hope won't sound too moany!
Am 8 weeks pregnant with my second child, at the tender age of 40! All fine physically but I feel really down, tearful and unable to face everyday stuff, especially work. I suffered from post natal depression with my first child that went undiagnosed until she was 10 months old, and then took over a year to sort out. Now I just feel like I'm sliding back into that pit again and don't know what to do...
To make matters worse, I took a day off work today as felt really unable to cope with it, and my boss has called and balled me out for forgetting to remind him about something he was supposed to confirm with me yesterday. We had a major row and I have just now tried to explain how I am feeling about being pregnant etc but he clearly thought i was making excuses. Even my husband thinks I am just being like this because I am tired. he never really came roundto the idea that I had post natal depression anyway so this is like a ground hog day for him and I don't feel able to tell him how I truly feel.
I really don't want to keep on feeling like this and wondered whether any one knows if this kind of depression improves after the first trimester? I really don't want to go the GP again as last time the counselling they gave me was pretty useless and I really don't want to have to go on medication whilst pregnant even though I know it is supposed to be safe.
Does anyone have previous or current experience of prenatal DP or any top tips on how to overcome it without drugs??
Thanks
alex
Taytsmum
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:27 am 
Post subject: Prenatal Depression
Hi Alex

this is also my first post. And I can completely understand where you are coming from. I am also 40 and expecting my second child, first one is just 2 and I am currently 30 weeks pregnant. I have felt as you do since the beginning and only finally decided to talk to a doctor. I am also living in Germany at the moment so that is added pressure. Plus baby No 2 has problems with his left kidney so mummy is very stressed at the moment.

Anyway I have to admit that I have gone on to prozac but my midwife has also prescribe a homeopathic mix as a tea. over here it is good as you can get both traditional and alternative therapy solutions.

You might want to go and see a homeopath about what you can take, I can give you the ingredients for the tea I have if you like and you could see if it can be made up for you;. All I would say is that you would have to check that it is okay to take in the first trimester.

I hope you find something that works for you.

Carin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular