Coping Finacially

DebLG
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:48 am 
Post subject: Coping Finacially
I am stressing about going on maternity leave.

I am the main wage earner in my family, so with me out of my office for 6 months it means that we have to put away a large amount of money to allow me to do this. I am in the process of agreeing with my company to work from home after two months for 4 months.

We are hoping that, (I know this sounds awful) that my inlaws will help out as they are wealthy.

Please how do people cope, and I haven't even touched on the cost of child care!!!

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
DLG
Katiemomma
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 11:22 am 
Post subject:
Hi - It is a huge worry, especially if you are the main wage earner - hope that your work lets you do the work from home thing
I have no top tips but I do know that we are exploring cheaper options such as supermarket brands, cutting down, making weekly meal planners and sticking ot a shopping list etc, just so that it's not a HUGE surprise when the baby comes
I keep telling myself that a baby only needs love and care NOT the latest designs for things - I have shamelessly borrowed off pals (make a list of all you need and tick it off when someone offers you something then hold them to it - they are usually glad of the space)
Also try Freecycle in your area where people offer free stuff on the Freecycle site
I know I cant make you worry any less but at least you know there are others like you out there
Good luck
becnichs
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:44 pm 
Post subject:
I know exactly how you're feeling. It's very scary knowing that your dropping a salary which you need to survive. The only thing I can say is you could contact your local Citizens Advice Bureau to ensure you will be receiving all the benefits you're entitled to. Also for a few extra quid try buying and selling on Ebay. Strangley a friend of mine has made about 400 buying and selling lego on Ebay. Strange I know, but it works for her. Just another thought, if you're the main wage earner, have you thought about your partner taking on the main child carer role? I think it's very difficult for men as they have much less support in the local community generally than women do, but it's worth considering? Good luck, and remember what people keep sayng to me "You just survive, we did!". Bec x
Samaurish
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:18 pm 
Post subject:
Hiya. U can get a grant from Surestart, i think its called, depending on how much you both earn. My friend got 500. Her HR Dept gave her the details. Maybe worth asking about ? Good luck x
Posted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:59 pm 
Post subject:
i try and do extra work, like i do my dads housework, he doesn't need anyone but he knows i need the money, i look after a couple of boys tuesday afternoons and i do nursery pick up 3 days a week, plus i work evenings when my husband comes home
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:52 pm 
Post subject:
hi deblg,

u shud be entitled to recieve child tax credits for the baby wen he/she arrives and working tax credits to top up your wage. and you can apply for this once the baby is bron and it will be back dated to babies birth date.

aswell u will get child benefit which is 75.20 a month which u can apply for once u have babies birth certificate and will be abck dated to babys birth date.

and u may also be entitled to the sure start maternity grant which is 500 payment to help pay for things for the baby etc. speak to ur midwife and get a form u may onyl be able to apply for this after babies bron depends on your circumstances and i think u have 11 weeks to get applicatiion in once babies born.

hope this helps:)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular