contraception...........

DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:03 am 
Post subject:
I'm using it too - some places refer to it as 'natural family planning'. You basically chart your cycles really carefully, using temperature and mucus checks every day. You can then predict when you will be ovulating, and use condoms on those days. Its pretty useful for when you decide you want to start trying for another baby too Very Happy
Posted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:46 pm 
Post subject:
Oh wow, that sounds interesting!! Does it really work thou? Id be really scared each month I think!?
x
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 2:51 pm 
Post subject:
It really does work, well it did for me anyway, you have to be really good with checking your dates, I have to admit I never bothered with the temp checks, and wasn't very good at noticing mucas changes, but purely plotting my cycle each month was enough, we just always made sure we either didn't have sex when it was my fertile time, or we had other kinds of fun if you know what I mean Wink (which was great because it meant he learnt to really pay attention to me..... why did we break up??? lol)

I've found this, this is the method I used, though the site has other methods on there and may be worth checking out http://www.contracept.org/rhythm.php

The standard days method (SDM) of natural family planning has replaced the old rhythm method as the method of choice for a woman who wants to predict fertility based on the length of her cycle. This method does not require the use of a calendar or charting.

The SDM, developed at Georgetown University, is the first new natural method of family planning to be clinically tested and introduced on an international scale in over twenty years. To develop the method, researchers used data from the World Health Organization to determine the probability of pregnancy based on the menstrual cycle. Counting the first day of menstruation as day 1, they determined that days 8 to 19 were the most likely fertile window. For SDM, couples avoid having sex during the fertile window.

Who Can Use the Standard Days Method?
The standard days method is most effective for women who have cycles between 26 and 32 days long. It is estimated that it takes about 5 hours to properly learn to use the standard days method, and it is recommended that you first meet with a trained counselor to be sure you understand this technique before using it.

How to Use the Standard Days Method
To use the SDM you will need to count the days of your menstrual cycle, starting with the first day your period begins.

Count the first day of your period as day 1.
On days 1 to 7 you are not fertile and can have unprotected intercourse. (Provided neither partner has an STD, it is medically safe to have sex even while menstruating!)
On days 8 to 19 you must avoid sex or use a barrier method if you do not want to get pregnant.
From day 20 until your period starts you can have unprotected sex.
Most women who use this method use special color-coded beads called CycleBeads to help keep track of where they are in their cycles.

ch4rli3
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:21 pm 
Post subject:
wow thats brilliant!! Thanks for all that information!!! xxx
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

Community

Popular