Downs test

Mayonnaise
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:28 pm 
Post subject: Downs test
Hi girls

I'm 37 and am pregnant for the first time. We have waited for this baby for a long time and now I am faced with going for a Nuchal Translucency scan and blood screening for Downs on Monday next week.

The test doesn't bother me and it's non-invasive, so I am happy with that. The thing that I am most dreading is a bad result and how the hell I deal with the horrid decision I would have to make, especially after waiting all this time for a baby and being so excited and happy.

Has anyone, or is anyone, in this situation at the mo? I'm so worried. Sad
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:13 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Mayonnaise - I am 40 and have had 2 m/c in the last 6 months and have 2 children girl 15 and boy 12. I too am in the same position as you with regards to the Nuchal test, I am not sure until tomorrow when I have my second scan ( have had one already at early preg unit am approx 8 weeks now ) if I can have this done on the NHS - seems some areas do not do this and I may have to pay privately. It is something I really want to do and will be having every test available to me, however, I am petrified of possibly having to have an amnio!! My mum said it was so much easier when she was younger as all these tests were simply not available, you delivered your baby and that was that!! I do hope it helps there are other ladies on here going through the same - do let us know how you get on.

Take care, Flossie xx
gingin
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:34 pm 
Post subject:
hi i am in the same situation - i am 37 and i went for a scan last week to have the test done but the baby wasnt big enough yet so i have to go back on the 4 march - here in sweden you need to be between 12-14 weeks for them to do it
i think its just very routine in women our age but am not sure what good it will do I mean what if its a bad result what you meant to do ??? apart from spend the rest of your pregnancy worried sick ?? they managed fine without all these tests years ago and to be honest i am not sure i want to know
i will be so much happier when its done !
g
x
Ruthuk
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:36 pm 
Post subject:
I am in the same boat. I am 36 and have NT scan next Wed. When I spoke to the midwife she said that I was looking for a result of great than 1 in 300 and something which is the average for my age. I'm not looking forward to it either because my sister in law had 1 m/c and 2 D&Cs because of Downs. Still I suppose it can only be faced when the result is known. Not easy though. Best of luck with your scan
Mayonnaise
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:03 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for talking to me about your experiences girls. It helps to know that I'm not on my own here.

I've got to pay for this privately, as it is not done on the NHS in Hereford, so am having to travel to Cardiff, but I'd rather do that than go straight for the Amnio (a last resort i hope!).

Good luck to you all, as I know what you are going through and I'll get back to you when I have my results. Do let me know yours.

I'll be glad to get this next week over and done with !!! Confused

xxx
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:39 pm 
Post subject:
Is anybody in Lincolnshire - wondered what the criteria was to qualify for this test?? Have looked up local private clinic and its 100 which I am happy to pay if I do not qualify for NHS. Flossie xx
gingin
Posted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:20 pm 
Post subject:
hey we had our scan yesterday and they took the measurements for downs - to be honest it didnt mean anything to me they just gave us a the odds of it happening - but the baby was clearly very happy and healthy arms waving everywhere, eating etc - I still maintain that its just routine and I would strongly urge "older mums to be" not to worry too much about it- they took a blood test at the same time but no-one discussed what if ???
next scan here is at 19 weeks
good luck fellow "older" mums
g
x
Mayonnaise
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:43 am 
Post subject:
Hi girls !!!

Great news - the NT scan showed that the fluid around the babies neck is very thin, therefore the risk is v low for Downs. The blood test results showed the same - 1 in 3119 !!! I am so relieved and it just shows that all my worrying was for nothing Very Happy

Like Gingin said - don't worry fellow "older" mums, there's nothing to worry about Wink

xxx
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:50 am 
Post subject:
Mayonnaise - I am very very happy for you...Heres to a happy and healthy pregnancy. Hope I have the same outcome as you! Good luck to all the other 'older mums' out there going through the same, have my dating scan next Tuesday then will book my NT scan - cant wait to see my little one again. WIll keep everyone informed of how I get on.

Best wishes Flossie xxx
dollychops2
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:06 pm 
Post subject:
Im really glad it all went ok Mayonaise. xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular