IVF funding - please send this to your MP

lillia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue May 26, 2009 5:49 pm 
Post subject: IVF funding - please send this to your MP
Hi ladies, I received this email today (pasted below) It is a request to cut & paste a letter to your MP to protest against the unfair postcode lottery of ivf funding.

PLEASE take a few minutes to send a letter / email off Very Happy Thank you

Here goes:

Dear Supporter,

Quick question: could we make a difference to IVF funding rules in the UK over the next few weeks?

Damn straight we could! But we will need to work hard and apply as much pressure as we can…

Two months ago I started a campaign against my local Primary Care Trust (PCT) to highlight the fact that they discriminate against couples that need IVF treatment.

When I started it was only me – just one voice speaking out against a PCT. Over the weeks people joined the campaign one by one and now we have hundreds of people that are making a stand against their local PCT.

Now it is time to take this campaign to a national level and finally bring an end to this so-called ‘Postcode Lottery’ in funding fertility treatment throughout the UK.

All I have is one question: are you in?

Will you take just 2 minutes of your time to stand up to PCT’s up and down the country that discriminate against hard working taxpayers?

If so, you will be making a difference to thousands of couples throughout the country that just have one simple wish – to be Mummies and Daddies. Couples like Jackie and I.

To make your voice heard and your opinion count, all you need you to do is send a simple email to your MP. We have written out an email (below) for to cut and paste and send off. It should only take 2 minutes.

The letter is on the next page; however first you will need to know how to email your MP. You can email your MP simply be tapping your postcode into the box at http://www.upmystreet.com/commons/l/ and filling in the boxes.

That’s it – it’s that simple… The question is: will you help thousands of couples in the next two minutes? Can we count on you?

Once you have got your email off to your MP, please email us to let us know so that we can keep and eye on which MP’s have received emails. Our email address is ivf@oxfordtribe.com <mailto:ivf@oxfordtribe.com> – all we need is the name of the MP that you have emailed the letter off to.

Please then try and find at least ten friends to send an email to their MP’s just like you did. If you did this and your ten friends found another ten friends to take action then that would be over a hundred letters that would have gone off to MP’s just because of the action that you have taken in just two minutes… How fantastic would that be?

Together we will make an impact over the next few weeks!

###Start of Template Letter###

Re: Postcode Lottery in regards to IVF funding in the UK

Dear [Your MPs Name],

I am writing to you today to call on your support as my MP to address the shocking inequality in the level of healthcare received by infertile couples across the UK. I am sure that this will have come to your attention and I am sure that you also share in the frustration and disappointment of your constituents.

As I am sure you are aware, currently local Primary Care Trusts can make their own rules as to how they allocate funding for various treatments, including the availability of life saving cancer drugs, gender reassignment and in this case, IVF treatments which may be a couples only chance of becoming parents.

The current funding policies and structure of PCT’s in the UK are inherently wrong and have thus created a national ‘Postcode Lottery’, to which residents in areas of the UK that do not follow the full National Institute of Clinical Excellence guidelines have become the losers.

Couples in certain areas around the country are being denied funding for IVF treatment on the following grounds, which we believe constitutes blatant discrimination:

· Age: In some areas funding can be denied on the basis of the females age. For example in some areas funding is denied if the female is under 35 or over 38. There is a proposal in place in certain areas which will bring this age range down so that the female must be between 30 and 34 to qualify. There has also been a suggestion that there will be no handover period, so that women who turn 35 this year will have a very short window to receive funding. It is possible that there will be women who have been waiting several years to have IVF who may 'never' be eligible if they turn 35 at the wrong time.

· Sexual orientation: In some PCT’s IVF funding is denied to same sex couples.

· Existing Children: If one partner within a couple has a child from a previous relationship then IVF treatment is not funded.

The discrimination is twofold: Firstly, based on the rules pointed out above – in contravention of established Government guidelines – and secondly based on an individual’s place of residence. I am sure you will agree that this is unacceptable and must be challenged and corrected immediately.

We believe that it should be made law that ALL PCT’s across the UK should follow full NICE guidelines.

Former Secretary of State for Health, Dr John Reid, said that he wanted “all PCT’s, including those who at present provide no IVF treatment, to offer at least one full cycle of treatment to all those eligible. In the longer term I would expect the NHS to make progress towards full implementation of the Nice guidance”. His deadline for this was April 2005, but little has changed.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1544312/IVF-postcode-lottery-is-heartache-for-thousands-of-couples.html

Your colleague, Grant Shapps MP, highlighted this discrimination in 2007, yet still nothing has changed.

Source: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/1544314/IVF-treatment-by-region.html

I am asking you, as my MP to support this campaign, specifically to ask you to write to the Rt Hon Alan Johnson MP, Secretary of State for Health to make all UK PCT’s follow full NICE guidelines, and make our National Health Service truly National and not dependent on which PCT you fall under.

I look forward to your response.

Yours sincerely

[Your Name]

###End of Template Letter###

Warmly,

Richard MacKenzie

E-mail message checked by Spyware Doctor (6.0.0.386)
Database version: 5.12470
http://www.pctools.com/uk/spyware-doctor-antivirus/

October 2010 2nd ICSI, short protocol BFN
trying to raise funds for round 3, hoping to cycle august 2011
JakesMommy
AskBaby Legend
AskBaby Legend
Posted: Thu May 28, 2009 9:36 pm 
Post subject:
all done babe Very Happy
Posted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:34 am 
Post subject:
Hi

I live in Corby, Northants and my MP is Phil Hope.

I have just sent the email template to him!!! Well done to you for doing this.

Myself and DH have been ttc for almost 7 years with no joy. As he has a child from a previous relationship we cannot get any fertility treatment for free on the NHS, and have had to pay for everything! I think this is terrible, as I have never had any children, I think that should be taken into consideration.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular