2 yr old transition to sleep

lrp
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 1:15 pm 
Post subject: 2 yr old transition to sleep
My third child is now 2 yrs old. I have recently eliminated his bedtime bottle. The problem is that getting him to sleep now has become an incredibly stressfull routine. I put him down at the same time every night, but he is the one controlling the routine. After I put him down he asks me to pat him, which I do for several minutes. Later I tell him I will pat him three times and then I will leave, which I do. But he immediately starts screaming, either calling me or crying histerically, asking him to pat him some more. I go in again and tell him I will pat heim three times again, then I tell him if he calls me or cries I will spank him. This happens several times until I finally have to spank him, and it is only then that he will stay quiet and go to sleep.
I KNOW this is negative reinforcement, and fell like dying every time I have to spank him, but am at at a los as to how to change this routine. I feel that I cannot affrd to let him cry forever beacuse of the other two kids who will not be able to sleep beecause of Tomas' screaming.
HELP!!!
Ange1a
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Mon Aug 13, 2007 8:19 pm 
Post subject:
Have you tried telling him that if he goes to sleep nice and quietly then he will have 'x' the next day. something he likes doing etc. Then after a while wean him down to a star chart or something to show him how well he is doing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular