How long should I take Folic Acid for?

Mec
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:02 pm 
Post subject: How long should I take Folic Acid for?
I want to get pregnant, and I know women are meant to take Folic Acid before getting pregnant. If I took it for one week for example, and then tried to get pregant & was successful, would that be a long enough time to have the folic acid in my system (for it to be beneficial to my unborn child)? Or should I be taking it for a specific amount of time before even trying to conceive?

If anyone could advise me I'd be really grateful!
Gemma1981
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:36 pm 
Post subject:
Hi they tell you to start taking folic acid 3 months before trying, then carry on taking it till your 3 months gone, but i never took it till i found out i was pregant with my first baby & it's not done her any harm. Im trying ttc baby no 2 & again im not taking it.
But everyones different.

Let me know what you decide?

gem.
Mec
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:16 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks a lot for your your reply. I guess I should try to take it for 3 months before trying to get pregnant if that's what's best. I'm so impatient to start conceiving, I'd better try and plan things a bit if possible. Maybe exercise more and eat more healthily too.

Anyway, thanks again!
Casstia
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 11:12 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Mec. I started taking Folic Acid in early February and we "officially" started trying at the end of feb. My doc said to take as soon as you are even thinking about having a baby. I think its personal choice. It was apparently never around in my parents day and I am one of four and none of us developed Spina Bifida but I suppose it depends how much of a risk you are willing to take. It cant do you any harm so no reason why you shouldnt start it as early as you want. x
Mec
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 6:09 pm 
Post subject:
Thanks for that. I've actually changed my mind about getting pregnant just yet, my partner and I have decided to wait another 6 months or so before trying for a baby. I'm terribly impatient(!) but we've decided we need to plan things a little better, save some more money and get a bit healthier and fitter in general. We are also hoping to buy a house and settle down properly! We've been together 2 years and we know we want to get married and have a family together, but because I have health problems (an arthritic condition) we didn't want to leave it too long.

But I guess it wouldn't do any harm taking the recommended about of folic acid for 6 to 9 months before starting to try for a baby would it. Anyway, good luck with everything all of you! This is a great website isn't it, there is so much information & advice available Smile

I'll be 28 in a few days time, so hopefully this time next year I'll be pregnant. I'm presuming it may take a few months of trying!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Trying to Conceive All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular