Smacking

shelley123
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:46 am 
Post subject: Smacking
Hi all,

Can't believe I'm now on the 1 year forum!

My LO has in the last few weeks taking to smacking me and my husband - me more than his Dad- is anyone else going through this and how are you dealing with it?

He is a god boy but this smacking is realy frustrating and can hurt sometimes - we always tell him no but it sems that whatever we do he continues to do it. It isn't continuous but it's everyday.

Any idea on how to deal with this?

Thanks
Shelleyxxxx
my2beautifulboys
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:47 am 
Post subject:
ahhh i know this one!!

the smacking has started for you! is your lo biting yet to?

oliver is doing the smacking thing, hes 17 months so this has been going on for a good couple of months!! i dont think nursery helps either.

i think because they cant talk they get very frustrated and almost dont know how to express themselves. this is why they throw tantrums and smack etc.
ive taken to putting oliver in a naughty corner in the hall for a couple of minutes everytime he does this!

i tell him no,take him straight to the corner, sit him down and leave him for a couple of minutes. . its funny he def knows its wrong as he doesnt even try and move from the spot because he knows im angry!! anyway then i sit down and tell him to give me a cuddle and hes all sorry! he stopped doing it as much but at least its a way of telling him its not right!

this isnt everyones choice however but it works for us!!

good luck xx

RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:20 pm 
Post subject:
I hold my boy's arm really gently and stroke where he is smacking (my face, arm..whatever) and say gentle, gentle over again - this means when he hits things like the fireplace, wall etc...I can say gentle and he associates it with stroking.

hope that makes sense!
shelley123
Posted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 1:00 pm 
Post subject:
Hi all,

Thanks for responses - took your advice and kept telling him "No"! but not too harshly, just kept being consistent and saying it over and over again - thankfully he is doing it less and less.

It appears that he is aware its wrong as when he does it and you tell him off - he does it a bit less hard next time and looks for a reaction! little monkey.

He seems to bite me when he is really happy or excited! thankfully he is now biting the sofa! like you say sometimes they don't know how to express themselves and either smack or bite. At least he is fully aware it is wrong.

Hopefully this phase is nearly passed!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular