will not hold my hand when walking!

RWneedssleep
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:28 pm 
Post subject: will not hold my hand when walking!
Hi,

My son is almost 18months and I use a pushchair but sometimes like him to walk if we go to the park or something. He absolutely refuses point blank to hold my hand and I don't really want to go down the reins route as I am worried he'll try and run off and fall backwards.

He does mostly stay close but if I try and hold his hand if we come towards a road he pulls away and screams! I then pick him up.

Does anyone else have the same problem? Any thoughts?
Komolafe
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:39 pm 
Post subject:
Well im not a mum.....yet ! BUT ive been looking after my niece and nephew 3 days per week since they were born (1 is now 3 and the other 5) When i was new to taking them for walks, I used to have to call them and demand they come back but of course that didnt work and the chase began ! They loved it - then one day I was in the park with my niece and older lady suggested to me that anytime she attempts to run away and wont hold my hand that I shout her name and stand firmly on the spot until she came back to me..........I kept trying this if we were in an enclosed area away from road and soon enough she knew I wasnt goin to play chase and that she had no choice but to come back to me, hold my hand OR we would just be going right back home. Her little brother soon learnt this too and they both respond really well to this. I used to worry with each one in turn whether they would attempt to run off but that very rarely happened......once i started doing this.

Best of luck x
Posted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:08 am 
Post subject:
Hi, our little one is the same, we have 'a lead' lol, but like you say they do have a tendancy to make them fall at awkward angles! Instead we have now bought a little life back pack. They are tiny and either very plain or animal themed. We have a ladybird and she thinks she is pretty special wearing it, the great thing is it has a strap attachment at the top with a lead for you but because it is a back pack they are happy to wear it and don't spend their time trying to resist it. There is a bumblebee that might be suitable for your little boy!

Hope that helps.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> One Year to Five Years All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular