Sleep Routine...

DebM
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:05 am 
Post subject: Sleep Routine...
Hi was hoping someone could give me some guideance..

My little boy is just over 4 weeks old and sleeping can be a problem, he seems more happy to fall asleep in over arms or on our lap.

If we put him down when he is awake and showing few signs of being tired he just crys...

Any advice re bedtime routine appreciated.

We are currently bathing him and then feeding him breastmilk via a bottle due to breast feeding problems, he does not seem keen on a soother.

Is the best action for us to keep trying to put him down ?

Or is there something else we can do ?

Thanks
Ange1a
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:08 pm 
Post subject:
I tend to have a wind down period with my baby aswell. At 6pm I take him upstairs away from all the noise of my 2 year old and lie him on the changing mat naked whilst I run his bath and prepare his milk etc. Then at about 6.10pm I place him in the bath and talk to him soothingly. At about 6.20pm I have him dry and dressed for night time and sit down with lights dimmed and feed him his milk. I make sure this is done by 7pm at the latest and place him in his bed. If he starts to cry I leave him for a max. of 20minutes so he can settle himself which he does after about 10 minutes. Now he knows how to settle himself he doesn't cry out so much anymore. Another thing that might help is that I give him a bit of feed at around 5pm to keep him calm for the bathtime routine.
I hope this helps
DebM
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 8:26 pm 
Post subject:
Hi

We have also been doing the wind down time, bath and then feed - Just not the leaving him to cry part but will give it a go...

Just wanted to check how old was you baby when you started this ?

As was not sure if just under 5 weeks was too soon or not to leave him to cry ?

And how long did it take for your baby to get to know the routine ?

Thanks
8)
Ange1a
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:16 pm 
Post subject:
Hi,

I started to let him dry for 20 minutes before checking on him at 5 weeks and by 6 weeks he had really got the hang of settling himself. I found that before he went to sleep that holding him in my arms (no rocking or eye contact as that would just stimulate him, in a dim lighted room) for about 5-10 minutes before putting him to bed seemed to keep him calm or he would only cry a little before going to sleep. I check to see his eyes are drowsy and that his breathing has slowed down and then I slowly move him and place him in his cot.

He found his routine at about 6-7 weeks. He is only 8 weeks now so fingers crossed it won't go wrong!

Let me know how you get on.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Getting Baby To Sleep All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular