breastfeeding

Luckyducky
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:53 am 
Post subject: breastfeeding
Hi everyone,

is anyone else finding breastfeeding hard work? I really want to breast feed, but am so tired, and feel like I am fighting Poppy at every feed in order to get her to latch on properly. I have had advice from the breastfeeding network, who have shown me how to hold her, but my arms are really aching from holding her so tight to me and encouraging her to feed. Also they told me, if she falls asleep, I need to encourge her to keep feeding and wake her up to feed more, I ended up spending nearly an hour on one feed this morning. I'm not sure how long I can keep this up, and end up being exhausted and upset by the end of the day.

Please tell me it gets easier.

LD

Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:37 am 
Post subject:
I'm in the same situation. He's bruised me and has made me bleed, and he keeps wanting more. I have to fight him to get him to latch on right and sometimes he ends up spitting it out....it's so tiring!
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:39 am 
Post subject:
hey girls - you're doing so so so well to persevere - it is a learned thing for both you and baby, so it really does get better!

try contacting your local breastfeeding support group - other mums that have been through can give you really practical help and support. Your midwife or HV should have the contact details.
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:49 am 
Post subject:
Dont give up, it gets easier! xxx
DevonMum
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:54 am 
Post subject:
http://www.laleche.org.uk/

these are supposed to be fab too
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:50 pm 
Post subject:
yeah its obviously commom for it to be difficult coz i'm going through the same thing, sore bleeding nipples and really tender to touch all the time. Jack spends at least an hour on every feed. It feels like thats all i do at the moment so i hope that it does get easier for all of us. You can really understand why people do give up but for now I will persevere. Good luck Girls xxx
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:10 pm 
Post subject:
It's nice to know I'm not alone, thanks girls. I guess we'll have to be each others' support group! It's so tempting to just say stuff it and go onto bottle isn't it? Am going to speak to my health visitor tomorrow about it again. I am determined to carry on for a few more weeks at least.

Good luck with your feeding girls, I hope it gets easier for all of us.

LD

Angel78
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:25 pm 
Post subject:
I'm having the same problem. Lily-Mae feeds for a minimum of 30 mins at a time and it got to the pint where I wanted to give up. My nipples were so sore and I dreaded every feed. My midwife suggested the nipple protectors and they seem to have made a difference - Baby latches on quicker and better than before and I'm gradually starting to enjoy the feeds. There is also a prescription nipple cream that your health visitor can prescribe (normally costs about 11) which works wonders too.
AmandaD
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:53 pm 
Post subject:
It was tough for me at the beginning, still is at times, but I know it's worth it...I keep telling myself that it's healthier and creates a great bonding time. I can't imagine getting up in the night, thawing milk and warming it. Also, pumping takes time too and formula is soooo expensive. So, good job ladies!

I met with two different lactation consultants and they showed me different positions. Also, once your milk comes in more, feedings won't be as long all the time since there's more flow. My lil man sometimes would take an hour and a half for the first few weeks and then would want to eat an hour later! But now he eats for about 30-40 minutes.

The most effective position for me so far is putting two pillows under his head on the side he's feeding on so he is level with my breast and then turning his head-there it is. So I don't need to hold and direct him so much. Also Lanolin is a great cream to use Smile
Posted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:28 pm 
Post subject:
I found breastfeeding really stressfull and in the end gave up. I would sit in the chair to feed with sweat running down my forehead and just could not get it right. I felt really guilty giving up. Really admire anyone that can crack it, it is certainly not as easy as it looks!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Your Newborn Baby All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular