leaving hospital soon after birth.....

KirstiePickles
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:30 pm 
Post subject: leaving hospital soon after birth.....
Hi there evryone,

I am 23 weeks pregnant and beginning to think about a birth plan..nothing overboard as I believe nature does not allow too much planning, but thinking about husband cutting the cord, oxytocin or not? pain relief etc.....

My preference, as I am sure everyone's is, is to go home asap after delivery. Of course this depends on complications and the time of day we have our baby. However I believe some women are sent home 6 hours after delivery.......basically I do not want to remain in hospital over night.....i am a nurse and know too much about hospitals!!

So my questions are....has anyone actualy left hospital soon after giving birth and how did it feel, do you wish you had stayed longer etc. I am lucky and have husband, also in-laws and other rellies close by. Also, is it the case that you are not allowed to be discharged until you have been observed breastfeeding. I do intend to breastfeed, but I am of the opinion that i cannot be forced to stay until I have been watched. Many mothers do not get the hang of it first time, and I would never let me baby starve so I cant see the issue there???

Any advice would be welcomed, thank you very much.

kirstie
lisaken
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:06 pm 
Post subject: hi kirstie
i would stay in as long as u have to and rest its hard work the first few days this is my 3rd and i will be staying in for the 2 days is this your first baby xx
Twinks
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:18 pm 
Post subject:
If this is your first child I think they will keep you in over night to be honest.
KirstiePickles
Posted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:36 pm 
Post subject: yes this will be my first
hi,

thank you for your replies, yes this will be my first...i am battling with the theory that staying in will be a good idea for the reasons you mention, however i really dont want to. if baby comes early hours, then i will happily stay in til tea time.....thats sort of 12 hours, it's just if he/she arrives later in the evening an night in hospital is worse than a nightmare!!! xxx
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:17 pm 
Post subject:
hi,
what do u mean : .....i am a nurse and know too much about hospitals!! lol!!!

is there something we need to know??? Shocked lol! just kidding!

i think it's best to stay for the two days especially if its your first as you'll get more rest that way, visits are limited and the midwives show you how to bathe, chage and feed baby before you leave. so would be good to get the experiance whilst your there, Very Happy

just a personal thought though.

good luck on whatever you decide. Very Happy
kimberley xo
darlingbaby
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:27 am 
Post subject:
I've had 2 at the hospital. Both times were not good experiences. Bad food, nurses wake you up every 2 hrs, 10+ people handling and breathing on baby in a day. Both my kids came home with a cold (big suprise). It was not good for establishing nursing. I'm now preagnant with my third, so I talked to my obgyn about leaving early and he was totally cool with it, but my pediatrician said if I leave early, I'll have to sign out ama, and it is their policy to call cps on any parent who signs out a baby ama! I'm now planning a home birth. Hospitals are yucky and a good place for healthy people (and newborns) to get sick.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular