Going through IVF and working full time

Helenttc
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:19 am 
Post subject: Going through IVF and working full time
Hi,

We've been just referred for IVF. Some of you may have seen a different post where I was complaining about a 3.5 year waiting list. The good news is that there is another clinic near by that has virtually no waiting list so we're seeing our doctor tomorrow to ask them to refer us there.

What I was really wondering though was if anyone had any experience of doing IVF when they have a full time job and how easy/difficult it is? I really don't want to wait and I haven't got the time to take off work but I don't want to risk the procedure not working.

Any advice anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

H xxx
Tillysmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:50 am 
Post subject:
Hi

I had IVF in June and it worked but unforutunately we lost the baby at 12 weeks. I am just waiting for AF to turn up for our next go, anyway I work full time, I do have a very understanding boss, the only part I think may affect work is the egg collection (1 day), and the embryo transer, I took a week off for that, other than that I just did everyday thinkgs.

Hope that helps
Good luck
Terina x
Helenttc
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:16 am 
Post subject:
Hi Terina,

Thanks for your response. I read your story on the other thread and was gutted to hear you lost the baby, it must have been heartbreaking.

I'm stil confused as to what to do. I'm working on a big project at work which involves me working lots of hours and is likely to keep me busy until June/July. Part of me things I should wait until it all settles down but the other part just doesn't want to wait. I'm 33 so I know I have a bit of time but it just feels wrong to let work dictate my life. We've been trying for a year now and so I'd really hoped I would alreay be pregnant by now.

I think I'll feel better when I can see someone at the clinic. What happens when you get referred? Do they talk you through all the options? We've had some tests done so we won't need to go through that part. How long does it take from initial appointment to actually starting a cycle of IVF?

Sorry to bombard you with questions!

Will keep everything crossed for you for your next attempt.

H xxx
Tillysmum
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:24 am 
Post subject:
Hi

We went private so as soon as we had had our consultation and sperm tests/bloods tests we were given the go ahead. I then got a call from home help to say my drugs were being deivered and I had a step by step guide from the clinic as to when to take the drugs/ dates of scans/ egg collection etc. It seemed like forever but it was only acutally 2 months from start to finish and most of that time is down regging so only a couple of hospital visits are necessary.

Our clinic was in Salisbury and it was fantastic, they were so lovely and went through absolutely everything with us.

If I were you I would go for it - I took a week off after embryo transfer but at my clinic they ar normally done on a friday and he said after the Saturday as a day rest get back to normal.I just wanted a bit extra time for me.

Where are you having yours done?
Terina x
Helenttc
Posted: Thu Sep 24, 2009 11:51 am 
Post subject:
Hi,

Thanks for the info, that's great about the Friday. I only work Monday to Friday, I could maybe even take the Monday off as an extra day's rest. I think I'm defintely going to go for it, guess I'm just going to have to prepare for the emotional rolercoaster that is due to start but nice that there are people on this site who will understand.

We're up in Newcastle so hoping to get into a clinic up here. I've heard good reviews about the one we want to get into so fingers crossed theyll accept us. We're off to the Drs tomorrow to ask them to refer so hopefully will be on our way soon!

Thanks again and I'll keep you posted.

H xxx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> IVF & Sterilisation Reversal All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular