squatting or lying on back??? the big question!!???

which would you prefer when pushing???
lying on back???
42%
 42%  [ 6 ]
or 'squatting'???
57%
 57%  [ 8 ]
Total Votes : 14
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 7:01 pm 
Post subject: squatting or lying on back??? the big question!!???
im only 11 weeks, and been reading my baby books like a mad woman! lol!

when in labour im really hating the idea of being confined to a bed, on my back!
and been thinking about having an active birth so i can move around and maybe do the 'squatting possition' when actually giving birth, as i hear gravity helps! (something my pertner doesnt want me to do)

anyways was wondering on everyone else's opinions and i there was anyone who's done the 'squatting position' and what they thought?

anyone who's given birth the 'on back' way, did you feel you'd rather be able to move more?????

thanks kimberley xo
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:37 pm 
Post subject: xx
hiya iv been thinking of this latly but i think i prefere the idear of just laying on my back. but im sure im ganna have the epadurele (sorry for spelling) so all my legs will be numb any way and think this will be my only option gl xxx
lisaken
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:40 pm 
Post subject:
u have it its great i never had it with my first and wish i had of this is my 3rd and im deffo having one again
Kimberley20
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:52 pm 
Post subject:
the epidural??? this is something im really not wanting, i have a bad back with one disc removed and had to delay surgery to have a second removed till after the birth, although if my back worsens i have to go ahead with surgery when im 5 months gone.

the area with the removed disc and the problem disc is in my lower back, where they'd put the epidural, so its a big no no!

so really thinking squatting might be easier when pushing, wot you think??

thanks
kimberley xo
Deanobaby
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:55 am 
Post subject:
I think this depends on how long your Labour is, my first was fairly quick 8 hours, and I layed on my back in the bed the whole time with the monitor around my tummy, I just needed gas and air, and that was fine.

But my next two Labours were very long, hitting nearly 40 hours, and so it was more comfortable for me to walk around and stay upright until eventually I did need to have epidurals with both.

I'm now pregnant with my fourth and have decided for me personally the correct thing to do is, stay at home as long as I can bear it, and stay active and upright, I don't want an epidural again, and will try everything but! if I can, I really want to squat to have this baby, I just find the whole moving around upright thing, a lot more bearable.

Amandaxx
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:58 am 
yeah prob if u are in labour for a long tie u will want 2 be up and about. i just hate pain i mean i really crnt stand it. but not been in pain like what u are in labour so dont no if i cud cope with it or not i think it all just depends on the day x
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:30 am 
Post subject:
Hi

I did exactly the same read my baby books and also purchased Cds for natalhypnobirth.co.uk & the hypno birthing 'the mongan method', this book also said about different positions for giving birth.

I was opting for squatting as though this was the most natural way or leaning over the settee, as i opted for home birth.

Most of the time i was sat watching TV & gossiping with the midwives, when i had a wave (contraction) i would kneel on the settee, rub my belly and take a deep breath in through my nose and out through my mouth.

When the time came to push i was led on my back, as i was really tired at this time. However , my head was proped on the arm of the settee and the midwives told me to bring my chin to my chest when i had the urge to push.

I think it depends on how your feeling at the time, if you are too tired i would recommend laying down Very Happy
mylillamb
Forum Leader
Forum Leader
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:36 pm 
im starting to like the idear of a water birth now. but ya can on have gas and air in water crnt ya. god i just wished the baby poped out .x
jen1982
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:43 pm 
Post subject:
all my babies were born in a squat or all-fours. gravity is a great help and it also makes the birth canal easier for the baby to crawl out. i have had three kids and all been over 8lb and i have never had pain relief (but was very close!) or a stitch (although my husband says that is nothing to brag about) so squatting cant be too bad xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> General Pregnancy All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular