can you express breast milk and feed baby through bottle?

bloominglovely
Guru Member
Guru Member
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:41 pm 
Post subject: can you express breast milk and feed baby through bottle?
i have two other children aged 9 and 7, and im expecting my 3rd, due in november. As a busy mum i just wanted to ask, i want to give my baby breast milk but i want to express my breast milk in a bottle and bottle feed it so that me and my partner can both feed the baby. is it okay to do this or will i be unable too? is it possible to express your milk using a pump and not have to have the baby latched on? i dont mind having to have the baby feed straight from the breast but im thinking practically as i want my partner involved and i need to have time my other children too. please any suggestions or advice welcome
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:57 pm 
Post subject:
Hi blooming, mine is my first, so i'm not an expert - but i dont see any reason why you cant do this. The only thing is, i think it can be quite sore using a breast pump (so my sister in law tells me!), and it might be a bit much. You could try doing a bit of both, but my midwife says she doesnt recommend that because its a different technique the baby does with their tongue for breast feeding and bottle feeding. I have bought a breast pump for when i want to take the baby off the breast. Maybe have a chat with your midwife, and she will advise you what is most practical?x
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:29 pm 
Post subject:
Hi they recommend that you breastfeed for 1st ? 6weeks so the baby is well established to being breast fed.

I started expressing milk, using a haNd held pump butfound it very time consuming, approx 20mins+ for 5oz! I Confused dont know what an electric pump would be like, as my friends also used hand pumps and had same prob.

I would only express if i were going out!

Googluck & it may be worth finding out if anyone has used an electrical pump Very Happy
bloominglovely
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 4:04 pm 
Post subject: breast in a bottle!
cheers for your advice, i know that everyone says breast is best but i just want my partner to be involved, as hes very eager to get stuck in lol, i know it may be time consuming but feeding whether thru bottle or breast takes time, i just wanted some advice as to whether anyone thought it was practical to do it this way, i dont want to alternate just express and feed baby with a bottle but a bottle full of goodness x
pommie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:47 pm 
Post subject:
i am going to breastfeed for a few weeks but i will probably use my breast pump and express it too so its easier to feed when out in public and also so my partner can get more involved
Jewbell1
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:57 am 
Post subject:
Hi

Just to let you know that you can buy bags to store breast milk in. Boots or mothercare sell them. Found them very handy when freezing milk. Smile

4-6days after your baby is born your boobs will be fill with milk, and will need to express, so bags are very handy for storing your milk for a rainy day!

Pumps away! Very Happy
erj74
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:45 pm 
Post subject:
Hi, I'm planning on breast feeding but like you would like my partner to be involved - I think feeding is one of the best times to bond. I was told the baby needs to breast feed for the first couple of weeks but then it is fine to alternate as long as its breast milk. A friend who gave birth just before christmas started alternate bottle and breast feeding her little boy and strongly recommended the tommy tippee close to nature bottles as they are designed specifically for this - she had no problems with him 'forgetting' how to latch on.
Good luck
x
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:27 pm 
Post subject:
I'l have to have a look into those bottles, as that is my biggest fear, but as you say, i really want daddy to be involved and really bond with our baby! x
bloominglovely
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:44 pm 
Post subject: exactly!
exactly, the main reason behind me asking this is so that not only does my partner get involved but my other children can too (plus gives me a little me time too), i am going to breast feed my baby for the 1st week and then express into a bottle and feed that way all the time. anybody else know anyone who has done this? ie expressed and fed continuosly like that?

Jump to:  

Community

Popular