SPD and told no help available!!

NaomiH
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:39 am 
Post subject: SPD and told no help available!!
Hi all. I am 24 weeks pregnant and my consultant diagnosed me with SPD yesterday.

I am experiencing excrutiating pain in my lower abdomen and groin when I walk and my consultant basically told me this will get worse during my pregnancy and a physio or support belt is a waste of money. He said nothing can be done except take some paracetemol to take the edge off the pain!

I have a 2-year old (and a c-section scar that is not helping the problem) and have a long commute to work too. I did not suffer this in my first pregnancy either, so has been a bit of a shock.

Am I alone in thinking my consultant's attitude is not very helpful? Has anyone got/had SPD and managed to find any way for relief (other than having the baby!!)

Thanks so much. Sad
lisaken
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:52 am 
Post subject: hi hun
im going thro the same thing went to see my midwife on wed and she has put me straight on to the hospitail im 29 weeks and its killing me finding it hard to get up in the morning im not sleeping either Evil or Very Mad
vickig
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:46 pm 
Post subject:
Hi
I am 35 weeks pregnant and have been off work and on crutches for the past 7 weeks. I had to fight to get an appointment with a physio and she gave me crutches and told me there wasn't much more that could be done and it would get worse. It has been getting really bad this week so again I have fought and got another physio app. I have heard that chiropractors and osteopaths can sometimes help but if you can't drive it makes getting to these people really hard on a regular basis. If this physio has any helpful advice I will let you know. Wouldn't wish this on anyone. Can't wait for my little girl to come because most peolpe say the probs go away then.
There is a really good website called www.pelvicpartnership.org.uk with loads of really useful help and advice
NaomiH
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:16 pm 
Post subject: Some hope?
Thanks so much for your responses. I checked out the Pelvic Partnership site and it is really great. Thanks so much.

I have found a physio that has dealt with SPD cases before and has been able to relieve some of the problems in some of the cases, so I am going to give it a shot! Watch this space for any words of wisdom!

Fingers crossed and I hope everyone else recovers soon...
PetraLou
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:15 am 
Post subject:
Hi i've been suffering terrible with pelvic pains, i'm confined to the bed today because ive overdone it at the weekend - just going to do the shopping etc, and i'm in agony. I saw my midwife just over a week ago, and because i'm due on wed it was too late to do anything, so just to take paracetomal!! I am worried the birth is going to be even worse because of this pain!!
vickig
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 4:45 pm 
Post subject:
Don't worry. Everyone I have spoken to has said that having spd may be beneficial when it comes to the birth as everything is loose. Have you considered a water birth? I find I can move around in water and think that it will be the best place for me to give birth.
Good luck
Sakura
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:31 am 
Post subject:
hey all,

i have dsp (diastasis of symphisis pubis) i had it with my first son from 15 weeks and am 36 weeks with second son, this time it started at 7 weeks and much worse - there is a 9mm gap btwn bones now - fun.

im afraid to say (at least from my experience anyway) that theres nothing you can do. iv been to physio, worn the belt etc etc and everyday i can barely move esp in the mornings. crutches dont seem to help and pretty much housebound and unable to do much which is proving difficult as my other son who's almost 2 wants me to run around all day with him!

after my 1st son though, the symptoms went almost immediately after the birth but i did used to ache even after a year or so if i went for long walks. hoping it will go again this time but will prob take longer as the gap is so wide, they said there may be a possibility of surgery to tighten things up again so hope it doesnt come to that!

try to keep your chin up! iv only got 4 weeks to go and cant wait for my body to start goin back to normal, but its good that others know how [*@!#%*] it can make you feel and that youre not alone.

hope it eases up for you! xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular