mixed feeding problems

svinall
Newcomer
Newcomer
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sat May 05, 2007 6:27 pm 
Post subject: mixed feeding problems
I'm at my wits end and I don't know what to do!

My baby is nearly 4 months old and was mainly breast fed with a bottle at night from two weeks old. This worked without any problems at all until recently. My baby would get fussy on the breast after about 10 mins (feeding usually lasted 40-60 mins) and start cying - I assumed at first it was wind but a health visitor though that it might be impatience with the speed of the milk flow. It carried on for weeks and I finally switched a couple of my daytime feeds to bottle as well and this was fine.

We have been giving him a bottle before bed for a while now and he's just started to refuse it and get very worked up and sream - so I naturally put him on the breast but after a while he gets frustrated with that too! At the moment I'm getting by with starting on the breast which seems to comfort him and then sneaking the bottle into his mouth after a few minutes - he drinks for a while then pushes the botttle away. Hr may be full but starts fretting and looking for the breast (possibly for comfort to get himself sleepy)?

At the moment bed time is a nightmare and not at all calm and relaxing for him - can anyone help me at all or has anyone had a similar problem?
babaloo
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:01 pm 
Post subject:
Hi Svinall,
our baby is 6 mth and he's also breast fed with a formula feed in the evening before bed. We never had any problems. We use tommee tippee bottle as the teet it very similar to the breast. He also cries when he's tired and thats mostly during the day. I read in Annabel Karmel's book that babies tend to do this, fight off sleep 'cos they want to stay awake. At first I allways thought he was hungry and would put him on the breast but then he started feeding very often for a short time and still cry after some of the feeds. So I sat down and devised the routine. It's been very good. He still moans before his afternoon nap. I now know that's 'cos he doesn't go to sleep straight after his feed so when his ready to sleep he wants my breast for comfort. Hope this help a bit. Smile
MariaLL
Newcomer
Newcomer
Posted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:26 am 
Post subject: Breast to Bottle
I wonder if anyone has any advice as to how i can get my 5 week old to start taking a bottle, I've been breast feeding up until now and although i would like to carry on, i would like her to take a bottle so she gets used to it.

A few weeks ago i made her a bottle and she took it and drank an ounce, the next day she took 2 ounces. Then i left if for a few days and she has not taken it since, i've also tried her with a dummy and she just spits it out.

Has anyone got any advice they could give me?

thanks
Maria
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Feeding and Weaning All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular