unprofessional midwives and gestational diabetes

Sakura
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 am 
Post subject: unprofessional midwives and gestational diabetes
hello all, been two months without computer got it fixed now so thats why iv been away for a while.....

just wanted to say has anyone else dealt with problems within their care from the midwives? just that since iv been away theres been a few probs with baby and at 28 weeks i measured 33weeks so they sent me for a growth scan and he was off the chart so ended up going back n forth for more scans and ended up in the day unit for a glucose tolerance test as they suspected he was so big because of gestational diabetes.

during this test all i had was condescending, patronising comments from the midwives about me obviously eating too much sugar and fats and telling what this does to a baby (like i didn't know) and that it was my fault id made my baby big and there was a likely chance of him going into hypoglycaemic shock and possibly coma when he was born because of the sudden withdrawal from the sugar. so im going out of my mind thinking what the hell have i done, but at the same time knowing that i have been having a normal diet so how could i be diabetic?

as it turns out, my glucose results were lower than average for a person who isnt pregnant and theyve told me the baby is big because he just is - so im v glad but miffed at the midwives for making me feel like a plonker!

but now im worried as im 36 + 3 measuring 41 weeks and apparantly he'll be btwn 11 and 12lbs at birth if he comes bang on due date (my 1st son was 19 days over so not expecting much) and im not having any more appointments and theyre going on the policy of "lets see what happens" and not "bothered about inducing". does this sound right to anyone or should i intervene?? Confused
flossie
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:29 am 
Post subject:
Hi Sakura - Oh my god I cannot believe how you have been treated...When I had my son 13 years ago I too measured big for my dates at 30 weeks I was measuring full term and he was head down fully engaged, after endless scans I was told I was suffering from a condition called Polyhydramnios which is basically too much fluid around the baby which can result in babies being bigger than 'average' (whatever that may be) lol, I too was tested for gestational diabetes but test came back ok. Dont be pushed around hun - I am only 5' 1 and size 3/4 feet and there was a huge debate as to wether I could deliver this 'huge baby' two consultants actually had a row about it in front of us (now that was scary)....anyway as I got bigger and bigger I had problems with blood pressure and protein in my urine etc at which point I was taken in and induced. My 'little boy' weighed 9ib 8oz and was 60cm long - I delivered him naturally and didnt even have a stitch however, the placenta left a gaping hole in my uterus which resulted in a blood transfusion, I dont want to scare you in any way as the birth itself was fine I managed on gas an air and listened carefully to the midwife. I would be very surprised if they let you go over your dates and I think if I was in your shoes I would be saying if my baby is not born by his/her due date to consider induction, dont worry about baby being big I really do not think bigger babies are harder to deliver, however, I am well aware we all differ, also I was told baby would be 10.5 - 11lb and he was only 9ib 8oz, they are not always right!!!!
You have the right to ask questions and to have them answered - it is all about patients rights.
God luck and take care, Flossie xx

Marien
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:20 pm 
Post subject: Throw a strop!
Hi, I can't believe how the midwives have been to you! I had one who's a bit of a mare so I threw a wobbly and DEMANDED to see another plus a consultant and it worked - I did the whole "tears and feeling so let down and like I'm not being listened to or taken seriously routine" and now I'm treated like a princess! The irony is I'm not like that AT ALL normally but I'm sick of being treated with a lack of concern and don't have things properly explained, JUST BECAUSE I'M PREGNANT! I know I'm not the first woman in the world to have a baby but it's a first-time MAJOR thing for me and all first-time mums, and I think some health professionals forget that and treat us like cattle because they see so many of us that they forget to treat us as individuals. Sorry to rant on but I think you've GOT to stand up for yourself when dealing with medical staff. Also no offence to any medical professionals on here because I know a lot of you do a fab job, and I'm not slating the NHS generally, it is just unfortunate that some people seem to be inconsiderate of an individual's feelings. xx
asfletcher
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:08 pm 
Post subject:
what horrible midwifes!

marien, trust me they dont treat just first time mums and problem pregnancies like ur thick or its ur fault, they do it to everyone! this is my 3rd baby but each time i said i knew stuff they insisted on telling me incase i didnt really know!!
Dev
Guru Member
Guru Member
Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:36 am 
Post subject:
That is just terrible!

I had a midwife who never listened to what I said and just kept going "yeah,yeah". When she listened to the heartbeat for the first time, she spent 10 minutes finding it tisking and making me worried that we couldn't hear it. When she finally found it, she listened for a total of about 5 heartbeats and then said "that's fine". Not even allowing me to enjoy it! She would constantly say things like "you didn't know that?" with shock in her voice or act as if I should know things even though this is my first baby.

Luckily, I moved and now have a team of midwives who are absolutely lovely! I'm so sorry what you've been going through. I know that it must be rough, but I'm sure everything will be just fine.
Sakura
Posted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:49 pm 
Post subject:
hi all,

thanx to everyone who replied; it put my mind at rest knowing that im not the only one to have been treated in htis manner! i know there are some fab midwives about, but i seem to keep getting the horrible ones!

maybe i take what they say to heart a bit much sometimes - i really hate being patronised at the best of times but its just the way they treat me like a delinquent sometimes; esp annoying as i have qualifications in human bio, anatomy n physiology and could prob teach them a thing or two!!

with regards to my big bubba, i think i'll wait until 40 weeks and have a membrane sweep before going down the inducing road instead of trying to bring him early....got a consultant app soon so will see what they say...still undecided....whaddaya think?

thanx again for the replies!! xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    AskBaby Talk -> Pregnancy Problems All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular