Plane or Car

devon78
Reply with quote Back to top
Posted: Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:42 am 
Post subject: Plane or Car
Hi Everyone

I'm after some advice, my son is 17 weeks old and has sickle cell trait, I am hoping to go to glasgow to see my family but have heard that people with sickle cell trait should not fly, i've contacted the air line and they are not sure if he will be ok (very unhelpful) I also asked my doc and she said he will be ok as long as the planes cabin is pressurized, the plane dosnt go above a certain height and that oxygen is available, this kind of still worries me, as it's a bit risky. Does anyone know about sickle cell trait?

The car journey would be 6 hours whereas the flight is 1h20minutes, has anyone done a 6 hour car journey with a young baby,

Help............the break could do us both good, but how shoul i travel?
XBabyXLoverX
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:15 pm 
Post subject:
Devon78, even though your Doctor says your baby will be ok and your air line isn't too sure, I'm definate that a 6 hour car trip would be worth it. Taking risks with a plane isn't safe, espiecally if your son has sickle cell trait. Car would be best, and probably more relaxing for your baby. And yes, it is true that young children with sickle cell trait are not permitted to fly until a certain age, so I've heard.

I hope this helps x Smile
devon78
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:38 pm 
Post subject: journey
Thank you for your reply babylover , I am definitely not willing to take a risk so am going to go by car, you're right it will be more relaxing for him and I wont be so worried.

x
mariandelijah
AskBaby Star
AskBaby Star
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:58 pm 
Post subject:
if you have enough time you could make it into part of the trip - stay over somewhere half way, it will be less stressful for you, imagine the hour and 20 just waiting for somethign to happen! argh!

XBabyXLoverX
Posted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:57 pm 
Post subject:
Your welcome, devon78. Have a lovely trip to Glasglow xxxx

Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

Community

Popular